Chapter 12

HER POV...

"So, you see. Hijab is actually a woman's protection. Contrary to popular belief, it actually doesn't attract more attention than a girl in a mini skirt, but even if it does, what do they see? Nothing. So, hijab is a woman's identity. It gives her the freedom to stand to a man equally without him constantly trying to check her out ." I explained to Iris.

Waqqar had told me about this yesterday at school. Iris nodded knowingly. "Seriously, I'm starting to love Islam. It's so amazing!" Iris exclaimed. Both of us entered another shoe shop.

I pointed at a pair of heels. "Hey, Iris! They're perfect for my prom dress." I told her. She just nodded. Both of us roamed around the shop, chatting away. "Did Waqqar tell you all this?" She questioned. I nodded, trying a pair of shoes on. "He sure did"

Iris sighed dreamily. "Waqqar sure is an amazing guy. He's so decent and polite. And he knows how to respect a woman." She said. I agreed in approval. "He's also such a cutie!" She added. That got me to stop in my tracks. What's with Iris today?

Isn't Waqqar supposed to be just MY classmate for her? Why's she talking about him like that?! Some reason, it was annoying me. "He might not be such a cutie." I said, emphasizing on 'cutie'. Iris disagreed. "He is." She defended him.

I shook my head. "You don't know him. He can be so cold and hurtful sometimes." I told her. It was true. He would always ignore me most of the time. Well, not that much nowadays. Iris smiled at me. "Come on. How bad can he be?" She questioned, picking up another pair of sneakers.

"Very much. You don't know." I replied, irritated by now. She raised her eyebrow at me. Expecting for her to say something, i was surprised when she didn't say a word. She just kept on looking at me with a smirk.

I brushed it off. But, nothing stopped Iris from talking about Waqqar. I told her to stop but she just didn't listen. Later that day when I came home, I was feeling like crap for some reason.

Iris was annoying, that, I found out today. But why? After changing my clothes, I plopped down on my comfy, huge bed and grabbed a a soft pillow. Hugging it, I thought about what Iris said. Waqqar wasn't that good. Yeah, sure he helped Iris out. But that doesn't really have to mean that she starts crushing all over him.

Hmph! What does Iris even like about him?! I mean, he's so boring. He doesn't go to parties. He doesn't even like Sports!  He rarely laughs. Heck! It's surprising to even see him smile for once. And he's not even all that gorgeous like guys like Kyle tend to be.

He's got so many flaws! All of this was eating my head! I pushed my head against the bed, fed up. Urgh! Why was all this troubling me so much?! Waqqar's supposed to be just my classmate. Iris is supposed to my friend. So what if she starts to like him? It shouldn't faze me at all.

The next thing I know, there was a knock on my door. "Come in!" I practically yelled. The door knob clicked and Abi (father) stepped in. He smiled sweetly as soon as he saw me and came closer to me. I smiled back at him. He hugged me. "How're you doing, Romma?" He asked me in his Arabic accent. "Good," I replied. He sat down beside me on the bed. "I need to talk to you." He told me.

I nodded, waiting for him to continue. He sighed. "Actually, I need you to go and visit an orphanage. It's really important to help the orphans. Since I'm so busy with work, I can't go. It'll be really a good help if you went in my place." He said in Arabic. I thought about it. It wouldn't hurt to help some kids out. I agreed.

My father smiled brightly with joy and kissed my forehead. "But, what do I need to do there?" I asked. "You just need to take some gifts for the children and spend some time with them. It will be easier if you took another person with you. There are approximately 30 kids in the orphanage." He informed me. I nodded. It'll be easy. Buying gifts for kids is easy.

Father stood up. With an another thanks, he walked out of my room. I thought about the orphanage. Maybe I could take Waqqar with me. He would never refuse. He's that kind of guy. Always helping people out. I decided I'd ask him tomorrow at school. Until then, I went to get some details about the orphanage from father's secretary. He'd know everything about it.