Chapter 17:

HIS POV:

I heard a knock on my door. "Come in!" I called, engrossed in my presentation. "Waqqar." Nadia Khala called for my attention. I looked up at her. "Yes?" Shutting my laptop, I sat up straight to give her my attention.

She was looking at me with suspicious eyes and a small smirk on her face. She put her hand on her hips. "Someone's waiting for you downstairs." She told me. I nodded. It must be Harry or Damian.

"Okay, thanks for telling me." I said, standing up from my bed. "She's in the living room." Nadia Khala added. I halted in my tracks, turning to face her. "She?" I questioned.

Khala nodded. "Yes, SHE. As in a beautiful girl with golden brown hair and green eyes. An Arab with a creamy enough complexion to make me jealous." Khala told me with a bit of sass. Then it clicked me. Golden hair and green eyes. Oh Allah!

"What is Romma doing here?!" I asked, mostly to myself but Khala heard it. "I should be the one asking you that. But we can continue this later. Right now, she's waiting." Nadia Khala said and walked away. Walking down the stairs, I made my way to the living room. I felt nervous for some reason. Why would Romma come here? I opened the door and walked in. Romma was sitting down on a couch, a bundle of papers in her hand. She noticed me and turned to face me.

"Oh, Romma. Assalamualaikum." I said, unsure of what I would say next. She just looked at me. "Y-yeah. Waalaykumusalaam." She replied, stammering a bit. She was stammering?! Wow, that's so new! I sat across from her. "Um, okay, so?"

I rubbed the back of my head. Romma handed me the papers. "I came to give you Ms Cladet's assignment. It's due tomorrow." She told me.

"Jazakumullah," I said. "You didn't really have to. Harry could've given it to me." I added. She waved it off. "I was coming this way, anyway." She assured me. I looked at the ground. "Can I ask you something?" She asked. I nodded. "Yeah"

"Why didn't you come today? Is everything alright??" She questioned, all in one breath. My face fell as I thought about what happened yesterday. "Well, my uncle's in jail right now." I told her. Romma's eyes widened and she cleared her throat. "W-what?!" She did a double take. I sighed.

"Yeah, he was going to the mosque in the 3rd avenue to pray and some policemen caught him and took him to jalong with a few others." I explained. She frowned. "But, why? There must be reason right?" She question. I nodded.

"Apparently, the day before yesterday a Christian and a Muslim got into a fight near the same mosque. And... It turned serious." I paused to see Romma's reaction. "Someone was shot during the fight." I said. She gasped, her hand over her mouth. "What?" She exclaimed, horrified.

I sighed again. "Sadly, it's true. Then yesterday when Nadeem Chachoo was gone to pray, the police imprisoned him thinking that he had a part in the shooting. A few others were also imprisoned." I told her.

She looked at the ground. "That's so unfair! They don't have any proof that your uncle had a part in all of that!" Romma defended. I nodded. "They just needed a reason to throw the Muslims in prison and they didn't miss a chance." I muttered, venom dripping from my voice. Romma looked at me, her eyes filled with sorrow.

"What will happen now?" She asked. I shrugged. "Wallahu a'alam (god knows) the worst case scenario is that he'll probably lose his job." I said. She sighed. "I hope that doesn't happen." Romma prayed. "Inshallah," I added for her. "Inshallah," she repeated.

"Anyway, Allah knows that he is innocent. This is just a test from him. Allah does everything for a reason. We'll probably gain something from this. For now, we can only pray." I said. She agreed. "Waqqar, if you need anything then don't hesitate to ask me for help. We're Muslims and Muslims help each other." Romma said with determination. I couldn't help but smile at her.

"Jazakumullah," I said. She grinned at me. "Well, I better get going." She stood up from her place. I got up too. "Stay for lunch, Romma." I told her. She shook her head. "It's okay. I just ate." She replied. I insisted more but she refused saying that her father was waiting for her at home. I had to let her go without lunch and I felt bad.

But, I sensed that she had changed a lot. She was so considerate and it made me happy. Guess she has finally started to be a good person. Inshallah.