Chapter 32

HIS POV:

The camping was going well especially when all of us were together. The whole class had just sat down circling a bonfire after a match of volleyball against girls and boys. The girls won since they had the badminton team on their side. It seems Romma didn't become a champion for no reason after all. "Since we won, we'll be the one to decide what we'll do next." Iris smirked and the other girls agreed.

The boys sighed and one of us spoke up. "Fine, what do you guys want to do next??" He asked them. Lucy piped up. "Horror stories. Tell us horror stories!" She demanded. All of the guys looked at me, expecting me to start one. "What?" I asked. "You know a lot of them, don't you Waqqar?" Harry said. I shrugged. "Well... I do know one or two." I admitted.

Romma clapped her hands together. "Then it's final! Waqqar's gonna tell us a ghost story." She decided. Everyone leaned in closer to hear me better. I was getting a little uncomfortable with everyone looking at me but decided to give them what they wanted.  I started telling them about some ghost story I heard as a kid, trying to set up a scary atmosphere.

The flames of the bonfire reflected on each of us' face and it created the perfect atmosphere for some scary chills. Everyone was so occupied by my story that it never got to end. Another guy from our class interrupted and started to describe his experience with a ghost as well causing all the attention on me go to him. I was listening carefully to the guy's story when I noticed Romma getting up and walking away to the left. I frowned but let it go. She must've gone to get some snacks.

I didn't quite notice when Iris had sat beside me. "Psst!" She grabbed my attention. I looked at her. "Yeah?". Iris leaned in a bit closer but at a safe distance. "Did you notice? Romma's gone." She told me. I nodded. "Didn't she go to get some snacks??" I questioned. She shook her head. "She went towards the forest. Why would she go there for snacks??" She gave me a 'duh' look. I thought about it.

"You're right. Didn't she tell you why she's going?" I asked her. Iris shook her head once again. "She didn't tell me but I know why she went." Iris started. "She's worried about something. I'm sure you've noticed! She's not her jolly, outgoing, carefree Romma anymore. She's always lost in her thoughts and spaces out a lot. I'm sure something's very wrong here." She finished. Iris just knocked some sense in me. Of course, she wasn't being her usual self but I never really thought about it that way.

"You're right. But, what should I do then?" I asked her. She looked as if deep in thought. "You should go after her. I'm sure she'll tell you." Iris suggested.

I wanted to but couldn't. It wasn't right. There'd be only her and me in the middle of the forest. It's still dangerous! It's funny how Romma pretends to be all brave and courageous. I never noticed that she was worried about something serious. I guess it's something you can notice when you're close to the person. Sure, Romma and I are friends but not like how she and Iris are. Romma can easily tell Iris everything. Not me.

"What about it?" Iris shook me out of my thoughts. I rubbed the back of my head, hesitantly. "Why don't you go? I mean, it's not right for a male_" I got inturrepted when a student from our class called for Iris. "Do you know any extra room here? I need it to study." She stood there, stomping her foot impatiently. Guess she was a workaholic. Iris looked at her and then me. She flashed me a guilty smile. "Sorry, Waqqar. Guess you'll have to go yourself." She apologized, stood up and walked away with the girl.

I sighed to myself. This wasn't right. I could just not go. I mean, Romma isn't a kid. But, she'd be all alone there, probably worried by herself. I didn't have a clue! I wanted to go and ask her what was wrong. Last time I did, she just brushed it off. I don't know if she'll tell me now. But I just had to go. I stood up, making up my mind.