Chapter 43

Hope y'all enjoy reading this as much as I enjoyed writing this chapter. We have made a lot of progress, Alhamdulillah and I would like to tell you guys that it wouldn't have been possible without the support.

And of course, my sister had a huge role in this. You can say, both of us practically wrote the story together.

Okay okay, sorry to hold you back. Enjoy!

HER POV:

"Oh come on! You should've told her off in that ordering voice of yours! I'm pretty sure she'd scurry away without a word." I advised between laughter. Iris nodded in agreement with that jolly grin on her face. "You got it. Next time, I'll be sure to do that!" She said.

I put the shopping bags down as I rummaged through my handbag for the key. "No one's home?" Iris questioned, leaning towards the door. I shook my head, not bothering to look up. "The workers are on holiday. Abi told me that he would probably be too far away from the door to open it for us." I explained, holding out the key with a victorious smile. "Besides, I'd hate to bother him." I added.

Iris nodded knowingly as she leaned further on the door knob. Before I could insert the key, the door knob turned under Iris's weight and flew open. Iris stumbled inside, startled by the sudden jolt. "God! I didn't know it was open!" She turned to me, a startled look on her face. I frowned. "It was supposed to be locked. I wonder why it's open?" I wondered, mostly to myself.

Iris straightened her posture and dusted off her flapper and baggy shirt. "Well. We'll figure it out once we go inside." She stated, picking up the shopping bags that fell as she stumbled. Both of us slowly crept inside as if we were in a horror movie. Tiptoeing, Iris and I reached the stairs that led to my room.

Before I could take another step, Iris stopped me. I looked at the arm she had pulled out in front of me to halt me in my tracks and then looked at her. "What's wrong?" I asked. Iris turned to me with a deadpan expression. "I hear something." She mumbled, trying to sound as dramatic as possible. My eyes flew open and I put a hand over my mouth to muffle my gasp.

I decided to play along.

"What? No one was supposed to be at home!" I gasped, looking at the door of the living room. Iris motioned me to follow her and I obeyed. Both of us stood outside the living room in a matter of minutes. We could hear voices coming from inside. "Did your dad inform you about any guests today?" Iris questioned, returning to her normal self. It meant our little play was over.

I shook my head. "Nope. I have no clue who's inside." I told her, leaning my ear against the door to hear the voices properly. Iris did the same. Both of us tried to make out the words when we gave up.

"Ugh! This door is sound proof. I can't hear a thing!" Iris grumbled.

"I have an idea." I said.

Iris looked up at me. I shot her a smirk before slowly turning the knob of the door. Iris's confused expression changed into horror. "You'll get caught!" She gasped with a whisper, realizing what I dared to do. "Shh!" I hissed, putting a finger over my lips. Iris shrunk back, clasping her hand over her mouth to muffle the little sound she made.

She then leaned in closer as I pushed the door a little. The living room was larger than most rooms in the house. I was sure the door would be too far away for anyone to notice. Both of us were bending as if in rukoo' and leaning our ears once again with the little space between the door in an attempt to know what was going on.

A wide smile spread on both of our faces as we accomplished our little goal. I gave Iris a thumbs up and she returned it. We could hear the little giggles and chuckles of people from the room clearly.