Chapter 42

HER POV:

The small, bright lights shone on the smooth, marble floor. Couples danced to the slow music. It was peaceful except for the music. Waqqar and I talked, standing near the exit at the far corner of the room. Not many people were there so it was comforting. I cracked up a joke every once in a while. I was glad that we were back to normal. I felt so happy. Waqqar was smiling more at me than usual. He would smile gently at me and then I would start blushing like crazy.

"How were your exams?" I asked him. He looked at the ceiling as if deep in thought. "They were good, Alhamdulillah." He responded. I faked a pout. "Didn't you think of me even once in these two weeks that we were apart?" I asked, pretending to be mad. Waqqar smiled and shook his head in disbelief. "Of course I did think about you." He played along. He looked at me straight in the eye.

"You were all I thought about." He smirked a bit, shooting me a look that said, 'have a taste of your own medicine'. I froze in my spot, blood rushing to my cheeks. I quickly averted my eyes from him and looked at the ground, nervous. I didn't want him to see my flushed cheeks. Waqqar suddenly burst out laughing. "Man, that look was priceless." He said, still laughing at my glare.

I looked at him as he laughed. Allah. Even his laugh was so decent and graceful. If it were me instead of him, I'd be gasping for air with my hands clutching my tummy at that point.

"That was mean, Waqqar!" I scowled at him playfully, recovering from my nervous state. He chuckled. "Remember when you used to use all those cheeky pickup lines on me? I think you deserved it." He told me, still smiling. I huffed like a little kid. "What.ever." I muttered. Waqqar opened his mouth to say something but was cut off.

"Well, well,well. Look who's here. If it isn't the couple of the year."

Waqqar and I both turned our heads to look at the owner of the voice. The atmosphere got quiet and Waqqar tensed up while I curled my hand into a fist.

Kyle stood there with a challenging smirk on his face and it is was directed towards Waqqar. He had a black and white tux on with his strawberry blonde locks pulled back. I had to say, he looked handsome. Nevertheless, his personality was as ugly as ever.

"And if it isn't the jerk of the year." I shot back. "Go away Kyle. I told you not to poke your nose into other's business." I glared at him. He folded his arms over his chest and looked at me from head to toe in disgust. I opened my mouth to tell him to cut it out when he spoke. "So, you've joined the terrorist club too, huh?" He directed towards my hijab, disgust lacing his voice. I rolled my eyes at him.

Waqqar's expression changed into anger. He was about to say something when I shook my head at him slowly. "It's fine, Waqqar. I'll deal with him." I faced Kyle again, furious. "It was expected, though. You'd do ANYTHING for Waqqar, wouldn't you Romma?" Kyle was now really getting on my nerves.

"I started the hijab because I wanted to. Waqqar has nothing to do with it." I defended. Kyle bristled, rolling his eyes. "Same excuse Everytime. It's totally obvious that's not the case." I was getting more and more annoyed by the second. "Kyle, say another word and I_" I threatened when he cut me off. "You'll what? Threaten to hit me again like last time?" Kyle smirked.

Waqqar raised his eyebrow in confusion. "Yeah! And this time I'll act it out! Stay out of my business, Kyle!" I raised my voice, holding out my curled fist in front of him. Kyle didn't move an inch. He wasn't scared.

"I wouldn't provoke me if I were you. I can easily tell your new boyfriend about that date we went on behind his back." Kyle smirked, leaning in closer. I stepped back and turned to look at Waqqar's expression. He had a thoughtful frown on his face and was listening carefully. I turned back to face Kyle.