Chapter 22:

Chapter 22

HIS POV:

"Class dismissed." The teacher announced and all the students rushed put of the classroom. I had to get to work after this and wasn't really looking forward to going. You see, it's been almost a week since I started and I haven't been getting enough sleep. I was usually really dull and exhausted in school now.

I gathered up my books and shoved them inside my bag. I remembered that I had put the keys of Chachoo's bike in my locker. Walking to the lockers, I realized that I hadn't seen or heard from Romma the whole day, which was rare. Brushing it off, I opened up my locker and took out the keys. "Waqqar!" I heard someone call me. For a moment, I thought it was Romma but was surprised when it wasn't her.

"Iris?" I eyed her suspiciously. She smiled cheerfully at me and stopped walking until she was in front of me. "Salams." She shot me a smile. I replied to her greeting with a "wa Salam." I looked at the sign in her hands. "GO ROMMA!" was written in big bold letters. "Today is Romma's game?" I asked her. She looked at the poster in her hands and held it up for me to see clearly. "Yes. But it's not the real game, it's just the final practice. Which is why I'm here for my support." Iris explained.

I nodded knowingly. "Did you have any business with me?" I asked her and she nodded. "Well, yeah. I need your advice and opinion." She told me. I motioned for her to continue and she let out a sigh. "You see, since I'm interested in islam, I've got a lot of Muslim friends. One of them is Yusra and her parents are looking for a man to marry her. She actually kinda started liking my cousin, who is like a far relative of mine and coincidentally, also a Muslim." She paused for a moment to see if I was listening.

After she was satisfied, she started again. "She wants to know what he looks for in a girl so that she is prepared for everything." She stopped. I nodded hesitantly, confused on why she was telling me all this. "So, what do you need me for?" I asked her. "My cousin thinks a whole lot like you, Waqqar. So, I figured that he would approve your choice of thinking. All I need you is to tell me what kind of girl you would like to have as a life partner." Iris explained.

"Why don't you just ask your cousin? It'll be more accurate. Maybe your cousin won't be looking for what I suggest." I said. She shook her head, moving her index finger from side to side. "You don't get it, Waqqar. We can't let him be suspicious and let him know that Yusra likes him. You know how Muslim girls think, right? It'll be such an embarrassment if he found out that she likes him." She told me and I nodded. "Yeah, you're right. These things aren't supposed to be decided by the children but the adults and parents." I said.

"Exactly." She smiled at me.

"So tell me, what kind of girl do you like?" She asked me eagerly, a tint of excitement in her eyes. I raised an eyebrow at her eagerness. Something was off. But, I decided to go with the flow. "Well, the kind of girl I like is..." I started walking towards the exit of the building and Iris followed me. "A girl who wants to change herself into a better person for Allah." I told her. Iris looked at me, raising an eyebrow as she nodded slowly.

"And?" She prodded.

I frowned in thought. " Well, apart from that, she's a good Muslim..." I blushed, feeling uncomfortable talking to her like this. "And honestly, I'd like it if she's pretty and sweet. Overall a nice person."

Iris giggled and my cheeks burned redder.

"Thank you, Waqqar! You do remind me a whole lot of my cousin." She checked her watch. "I better go now. Romma must be waiting for me." She told me and ran off. I frowned in confusion before walking away from the building. Weird.

HER POV:

"Romma!!" I almost fell from the pose I was displaying when I heard this one loud scream. I guess, now I know how Waqqar feels when I randomly scream his name. "Iris! I was gonna fall!" I scolded her while she just grinned in response. "My plan worked! Waqqar fell for it, big time!" She shouted excitedly. I looked around to see all my teammates shooting looks at me. "It's too crowded in here. Let's go inside and talk." I suggested.

Both of us sat down on a nearby bench. "Romma! He told me what kind of girl he likes!" She stated. I sat up straight, taking interest. She seemed to be thinking it over. "He'd go for modest girls definitely. If you started hijab..!" She trailed off expectantly. The smile on my face faded. "It's just like I thought. But, Iris. I can't start wearing Hijab." I said. She rolled her eyes at me. "And why NOT?!" She snapped.

"Because, I don't want to wear hijab just because Waqqar likes girls with hijab. I wanna start wearing hijab because Allah wants me to wear it not because of some guy I like." I explained. "That's so hypocritical." Iris's expression softened in understanding and she smiled at me.

"And anyway, I can't just start wearing hijab. I'm so not ready for such a drastic sudden change in my life." I shook my head miserably. " I won't be able to do it justice, or take the pressure. I don't have that strong of faith yet."

Iris touched my shoulder gently. " Oh don't you worry honey, you'll get there. I'm sure you have it in you. Ok, let's take it easy with hijab."

A blush crept to my face at her praise. "Thanks." I said. After a few seconds of silence, Iris let out a troubled sigh. "Ugh! Then what are we gonna do?!" She asked. I thought hard on it when I had an idea. "Listen, I won't wear hijab or an Abbaya (gown), I'll just wear some modest clothes. Like a long skirt over a short shirt with a cardigan on top. What'd you think?" I asked her, smiling excitedly. She nodded with a satisfied smile on her face. "I like it." She looked at me.

"But you're not gonna wear those at once." She told me. "Waqqar could be suspicious." She added. I nodded in agreement. "You're right." I said. She batted her eyelashes and sighed dramatically. "I know I'm the best. You don't have to tell me." She smirked like a snob and I rolled my eyes at her. "Drama queen." I mumbled under my breath. Her smirk faded and was replaced with a smile.

"Now that's done, there is one thing left to do." She raised her index finger in the air as if she were a  judge at the high court. I frowned in confusion. "Shopping!" She exclaimed...

____________________________________________________________________________________________

"Iris! This'll look amazing with my new denim shorts." I pointed at a full sleeves floral printed shirt. Iris shook her head at me. "Remember Romma." She grabbed my arm and pulled me out of the short shirts side. "We're shopping for modest clothes. Not for more revealing clothes that'll make you look like a piece of meat men can feed on." She reminded me. I pulled a face at her and she just grinned cheekily.

"Sorry." I pouted like a 4 year old. She shook her head in disbelief. "Seriously. What am I going to do with you?" She muttered in a low voice. I smiled at her, which she didn't notice. A person like her is the bestest friend ever. Why do I have her, ya Allah? I don't deserve her at all. She's been one of the best things that have happened to me.

"What about this, Romma? It'll suit your new cardigan." Iris suggested, holding out a beautiful leopard spotted skirt. I rushed to it as if my life depended on it and pulled it close to my chest. "I love it, Iris!! I just have to have this!!" I exclaimed. This beauty had made me believe in love at first sight.

After we were satisfied with the stuff that we had bought, Iris decided to come to my house. We entered my room and plopped down on the bed, exhausted. "It was fun, right?" Iris turned to me for approval. I nodded. "💯 Percent sure it was". She just smiled at me. "Romma" she called for my attention. "I've got another plan. We can try it out." She said. I leaned in closer to her. "Really?" I asked excitedly.

"We do this, the old fashioned way." She smirked.