Chapter 10

"Hey Isaac, you awake?" Samuel whispered, standing next to Isaac, who was dozing off in the drivers seat. Isaac flinched and looked up at Samuel with his tired, hazel blue eyes, "Oh morning Samuel. Sleep well?" "Isaac, it's three in the morning," Samuel said, sitting in the passenger seat. Isaac looked at the clock on the dashboard, which was the only source of light, and said, "Oh... right." "I can't sleep, Jeff keeps falling out of bed, C.J. is kicking in his sleep, and Clancy's talking in his sleep, again. And I didn't want to bug Marceline or Alex, so I came to see if you were still awake," Samuel explained, looking out the window. Isaac shrugged, putting the RV in drive, "I parked the RV for a few minutes to walk around the RV and stretch my legs, but I ended up drinking a few Cokes and eating an entire bag of Frito's. So, I've been up for a while." Samuel snickered, "Yeah, I talked to Jeff for a while, then he fell asleep. I told Clancy to shut the hell up but he was asleep, talking, so that happened. Also, I've been waking up really early lately." "Oh please, I woke up at four in the morning yesterday, don't worry about a fucking sleep schedule, Samuel," Isaac said, turning a few corners in the road. The road seemed to stretch on for miles and miles on end. Feeling awkward not talking to Samuel, Isaac asked him, "What's the story with you and Alex?" "Well," Samuel began, "When I was five my mom had worked full time at this cool thrift store downtown, and my dad worked at his friend Charles's place as a journalist. He was one of those people that would stand up for the equal pay and equal rights of Native Americans and people of color, very liberal family if you can't already tell. But my aunt Wendy, who looked nothing like my dad despite them being siblings, worked full time as an RN nurse. So Alex's mom asked to babysit me. My mom said yes, because they'd been friends since they moved. So, every Monday thru Friday I'd go to Alex's place and her mom would teach me things that a third grader would know. That's why I skipped two grades when I lived with Sean and his grandmother. Alex's mom used to be a third grade teacher, and she tried to be a fifth grader, but that meant having to deal with little shits all day, her words exact. And Alex and I would play outside for hours after my mom came to pick me up." 

"What were your parents like?" Isaac asked. "My dad, like I said, was friends with Michael and his gang for two years. And he was the awkward pale, skinny, lanky, smart, depressed kid that everyone knew but never hung out with. When he was nineteen, he had sever depression, so did my mom. They'd been friends since ninth grade. My dad's first girlfriend was a chick named Veronica, then he dated my mom, but left for Vegas with Michael a few months into the relationship. But two years passed, my mom moved in with my aunt Wendy, and my dad came back. My mom told me that he smelled like gasoline, beer, and cherries the minute he walked into his old home to find her, standing in the hallway. With her boy-short hair damp from being in the shower, her attire was a simple tank top with blue pajama shorts, and she wore a white robe that went down to her knees. He was wearing his high school leather jacket, a black t-shirt, blue jeans, and an old pair of black boots. My mom cried the minute she saw him, she hugged and kissed like he had gotten back from a war. But he was fighting a war within his head at the time. My mom didn't have the best childhood, she was an actual preachers kid, her dad was an overly religious Baptist pastor that looked down on her for being bisexual, but she married a guy so that made her dad happy. But she had depression all throughout her life, only my dad, Wendy, and a few other people knew. Her dad knew and always told her to stop being a baby about it. But he wanted her to live with them until she died basically, but once she turned twenty and had enough of his bullshit, she moved out and moved in with Wendy. My mom was smart, funny, snarky, and very laid back. But deep down she was depressed, but after she had me, she told me that... I was like the light she was missing. My dad always wore this pin on his leather jacket, it was a really pretty sun pin. It looked like a gypsy design and it had different shades of yellow and red mixed in with it. He wore it all the time because when my mom gave it to him, she said that he was her sunshine that would always light up her life," Samuel explained, clutching something in his right hand.

"What's that?" Isaac asked. Samuel sighed, and showed out two pins, a sun and a moon. "These were my parents. My dad wore the sun, and my mom wore the moon. They were both kind of hippies, but hey, I'm slightly one too. And I've been saving them for someone special in my life. My dad said that I should give one to the person that matters to me the most when I grow older. And you know who that person is Isaac?" Isaac shook his head, seeing the look on Samuel's face he asked, "Is it someone I know?" "You're friends with them," Samuel said, "Think about who you know." Isaac's eyes lit up when he figured it out, "OH MY GOD IT'S MARCELINE!" "Shh, people are trying to sleep," Samuel said as he shushed Isaac with his left hand. "Wait, is it Marceline?" Isaac asked, with his mouth covered by Samuel's skinny hand. Samuel nodded, "Yeah, I've grown to be really attached to her and I really care about her. better yet, I lover her, so fucking much. She's like the moon, she always has a way to brighten up someone's life, even if she's a little blue, like the moon, she always has a gorgeous face, like the moon. And her eyes look like two large, light blue stars in the sky. But to me, she's a living work of art. She's like, something that only comes out at night in order to see what the universe can feel like at her fingertips. And for me, that kiss we shared was something that I wish could last forever. And I wish I could do it again. I wish I could just, hold her close to my chest, kiss her, and tell her that she's loved. Because we all know, depression can kill someone, that's what probably killed my parents. Michael, I'm certain is depressed, I can see it in his sad grey-green eyes. But Isaac, I'll tell you this, tell no one about this, but I've had sexual longing for this girl. But not in a creepy way, in a way that I thought I could never feel for someone." "Samuel, I'm gonna cry that was so poetic, I had no clue you had that in you," Isaac said as he covered his mouth. Samuel laughed and said in his raspy, soothing voice, "I've always been good with words, writing them down is hard for me because, dyslexia. Also please don't tell her, I want too." Isaac put both his hands on Samuel's shoulders, "I won't, I promise. Also, we've been talking for two hours. It's already 5 a.m." "Oh yeah," Samuel said, looking at the clock. 

"Morning bitches," Jeff said in a tired voice. "Oh hey Jeff, sleep okay?" Isaac asked. Jeff shrugged, "I kept falling out of bed." Everyone woke up around six in the morning and Alex resumed driving. She drove for a few hours as the radio played a few 90's songs, and the sun began to beat down from the windows, making the whole RV hotter than blue blazes. Soon, she stopped the RV in front of a large facility. It looked abandoned, but it something that would haunt Alex forever. Alex didn't say a word, she just stared at the building. "Alex, what is it?" Bailey asked, worried. "Everyone, get a weapon, we're gonna be here for a while," she said, grabbing the axe from the glove box, along with the wrench and the pistol.