Chapter 25

"Sam, you okay?" Jeff asked, waking Samuel up by nudging his shoulder. Samuel slowly opened his eyes, and looked around."How long was I asleep for?" he asked, after letting his eyes adjust. "Uh, what? I just woke up to find you lying over the edge of the bathtub," Jeff said. Samuel groaned, "I got sick last night, then I fell asleep in the tub. And I have a splitting headache." "Lemme me feel your forehead, pretty boy," Jeff said, moving Samuel's curly hair out of his eyes. Jeff felt Samuel's brow to find it very warm, warmer than the early May heat. "Damn dude, you sure it's just a headache? It feels like you a have a fever," Jeff said, as he removed his hand. Samuel rubbed his eyes and sighed, "Well, I have a weak immune system, so I'm not surprised." "I'll help you down stairs," Jeff said, trying to get Samuel off the floor. Samuel shook his head, "I don't think I can get up, I don't have the strength." "Fucking shit man, just," Jeff sighed as he rolled his black eyes, "I'll get Bailey," he rebuked as he gave up on trying to get Samuel off the floor. Jeff darted down stairs and grabbed Bailey by her hair and said, "You're little crush is sick, help 'em out because I don't know how medicine works." and he walked away towards the car lot to check on Alex with the RV's engine. Bailey shrugged and walked back upstairs.

"Sam, you doing okay?" she asked, walking into the bathroom. Samuel shook his head, "No, I look and feel like shit." Bailey felt his head and said, "It's not a fever, you're just overheated. You're most likely dehydrated, I'll help you down stairs." Bailey grabbed Samuel's arms and helped him up off the floor, but he let go of Bailey, and said, "I want to stay in here. I don't think I can walk that well." Bailey rolled her grey eyes, "I'll get you water, but if you do move, I'm tying you to a tree." Bailey walked downstairs and grabbed a water bottle from the fridge, which again, she still had no idea how it worked since the government was completely dead in the little town. Marceline overheard the fridge door slam as she entered the kitchen, so she walked in and asked, "Why are you so pissed, Bailey?" "Samuel's sick and won't get off his bony white ass. He's on the floor and his upper body is dangling over the edge of the bathtub. He has no fever, he's just dehydrated. So I'm getting him some water- better yet, how about you take it to him since he likes you more, Marcy," Bailey explained. She shoved the bottle in Marceline's hands in a rude manner and left the room to go find Clancy. Marceline shrugged and took the water upstairs. 

"Samuel, you want some water?" Marceline asked, opening the bathroom door. Samuel shrugged, and sat up. Marceline handed him the bottle and sat next to him and asked, "How'd you get sick? You seemed fine last night after we talked, well, besides the boot print. And again, I'm sorry about that." "Johnathan, he scared the shit out of me. And again, it's not your fault, Marceline," Samuel said as he drank the water in three ling swigs. "Whoa man, you must've been really fucking dehydrated," Marceline said surprised, looking at the  crushed plastic bottle that fell onto the bathroom floor. "Hey, uh, Jeff wanted me to tell you that he, Isaac, and I are going to hang out near the creek. It's one of those, "childhood memory" days for us, so if you want to come, look for wild rose bushes to the far left of the field," Marceline explained, as she stood up and headed to the pine wood door. Samuel shrugged and said, "I'll think about it." Marceline sighed and said, "Samuel, I want to tell you something. These past months, almost a year, of knowing you. And the fact that we've done a few things that one would find, uh, "romantic," I've realized that I... I... uh-" Samuel's face lit up and he wondered, "Does she... love me too?" Marceline paused in her words, and had a look of melancholy on her face as she covered her mouth with her left hand, "Forget it, you might find it stupid. Anyways, I'll see you around." Samuel's face went from happy to confused, doubtful, and miserable. He thought this whole time he knew what she was going to say, but it was now nothing more than assumption. He looked at his feet and sighed. Marceline left the room and left the door ajar. She walked down the hallway and headed outside.