Chapter 34

Early that morning, Alex woke up early wondering why the RV's main light was on, and why Marceline was out of bed. She climbed down from her bunk, trying not to wake up Bailey who was asleep in the bed across from Alex, and made her way outside the bedroom. She saw Isaac and Marceline grabbing the two jerrycans that were under the table. "What the fuck are you two doing up?" Alex asked, rubbing her left eye from it being stuck by her eyelashes. "Going to get more gasoline for the RV. It's at ten miles til E, and a gas station is a mile down the road. We thought we would get some more gas for heat and the gas burners on the counter top," Isaac said, cleaning his glasses under the sink fossett. "Well, you mind bringing back some food too? Maybe some water?" Alex asked, grabbing a small milk carton out of the cooler. Marceline nodded, "Sure, by the way. Tell Samuel that I saved him an orange in the fridge. He hasn't had one in years and Jeff told me it's one of his favorite fruits. Next to strawberries, which are deadly if they come from California." Alex laughed, then agreed, "Yeah, I'll let him know." Marceline smiled and followed Isaac outside.

"So... Marceline. Haven't fully talked in a while, huh?" Isaac asked as they walked down the road. She shrugged, "I guess so?" There was about a minute of silence, then Isaac asked, "What's on your mind right now?" "Winchester Bay, my parents watching old 70's horror movies and laughing at the shitty quality of the gore. Granna and Granddad smoking and having iced tea outside on the front porch, laughing about their teenage years. Ivory and Lapiz making me do Disney character impressions. Watching Stephen and Don get along for once. Beau, Archie, and Vincent playing basketball with Jeff after school. But for some reason, I still remember when Ivory and I snuck into the dressing room of the theater hall, and I remember that I put on this old Peter Pan costume, and I remember seeing the look on Archie's face when I acted like the adventurous character. He was smiling and laughing with us, and I remember when I beat up Grant after he groped Lapiz, and shoved Trevor into a locker door. I had a bloody nose from when he gave me a fist to the nose, but I recovered with a smile and a snarky laugh and punched the breath out of him. But my best memory that I have right now, is when we were all at Ivory's place, and we watched "Pinocchio" and played cards," Marceline said, as she began to trot a bit as she walked. "Wanna race?" Isaac asked. Marceline's face lit up and she said, "Oh hell, fucking, yes!" Isaac smiled as they both began to run down the road.

Isaac never felt like this before, not in a long time. As he ran, he saw all the trees and the different colors of the sky. Marceline looked at Isaac, who hadn't been this energetic since last summer. And she was the same way. They both made it to the gas station, still full of energy and thriving with jovial thoughts from their past summers and school years. And for some reason, they both thought that the nightmare that they were living was almost coming to and end. They got the supplies and raced back to the RV, with Isaac being the victor because of Marceline falling over from tripping over her long shoe laces.  

"That was quick," Alex said, playing with the radio. Isaac shrugged, catching his breath, "We raced there and back. I think I almost killed Marceline though." Marceline shook her head, sitting on the couch, taking deep breaths, "No, I just fell over my shoe laces. Then I had to catch up with you so I wouldn't get screwed up in the heat. It's 80 degrees outside and I have on a long sleeve shirt. Not the best option for me, but whatever." Alex laughed, "You want some water, Marcy?" She nodded, "Please." and laid on the couch, rolling up her sleeves and taking of her shoes. Isaac, who wore a short sleeve shirt, only took off his shoes since he wasn't a hot as Marceline was. She looked like she was going to drown in her own sweat. Samuel woke up a few minutes later and seeing Marceline's condition, asked, "Why is she so tired and... Marceline are you sweating?" "Yes, because I, a basic human, can sweat. Isaac and I went to get supplies," Marceline said, as she drank her water. Samuel snickered, "Alright then, I guess you're tired as hell?" She shrugged, "I guess so? I don't fucking know, Samuel. By the by, there's an orange in the fridge I saved for you. Since Isaac and Clancy and C.J. ate pretty much all of them." Samuel jokingly lightly patted Marceline on her head and said, "Thanks Marcy." She giggled and rolled onto the cold tiles of the RV.