Twenty Four.

You are never awake until you are out of bed and until recently Susan had been in bed. Letting life pass her by and as if that wasn't bad enough she had taken up with a man whose  only saving grace was his sexual prowess.
Men are either pigs or frogs and she had come to think she had a knack of being invariably gravitated to the kind hoping one or the other will turn into her prince charming. But more often than not it was always her whimsical thinking. She thought with clinical detachment. But then again she didn't need a man to validate her existence no more than she needed a third breast though the thought had some merit. Not the man thing but the breast thing, how cool could it be having three breasts?
But it took all kinds to make the world which was a strange place in the least.

Susan had come to think No amount of beauty and brains could make up for her fickle disposition and her ability to pick the wrong men.
There was no helping it.

A gust of wind puffed the night.

She had left her apartment when Christian had shown up and she couldn't ignore their make up sex anymore so she had pulled on her knee length black boots over leggings that hugged her generous hips, threw on a long fair isle Cardigan, wrapped a scarf around her neck and left.
She had always loved the stars to be afraid of the night so she had strolled around aimlessly.
Come to think about it she hadn't experienced much in the way of love but that simple oddity didn't deter her.
After all life only got better.
At the ripe age of thirty seven she had more or less hit her stride. Wasn't her mom always telling her women started living when they got in their thirties? But then again diverting her attention from the past and its lack of love didn't mean she was envisioning a future full of it. She maintained her cynical outlook on life and couldn't let that flicker of hope  sizzle in her heart. Hadn't life taught her the opposite was always right.
No expectations no disappointments. Moreover, love found you not the other way round so in that light she would let destiny work its course. Do its little magic.
She didn't know it then but the love she craved though she didn't realize it at a subconscious level was near than she realized. After all that moment had been set in motion thousands of years ago. Every moment, decision and choice building up for that moment.

" I  have better chance of winning a lottery." She mumbled to herself but at the same time thought if she didn't step on the cracks on the sidewalk the next person she met would be her soulmate.
Foolish and even childish but it was much fun until she bumped into a wall of rock solid muscles sending her stumbling down but hands with roped muscles reached out to steady her.
Through her dazzled, frazzled thoughts her mind registered the electric zing between them. The buzz of something tagging at her drawing her. 
She looked up and was literally left breathless. His gentle touch belied his pure masculinity. The hard planes of his face  etched with grooves and valleys accentuated his good looks. Curly raven midnight black hair greying around the edges.
Then his eyes. The Summer deep blue of the ocean sparkling with humor as if the sun was reflecting of them or maybe filled with the stars twinkling overhead. Eyes that appeared sultry and teasing at the moment. Eyes that, she mused mirrored intellect and wisdom. Stubbornness and will. Experience and pain. She could get lost in them Looking into them all day.
She felt a ripple of something she has never felt before. Something stirring in her heart. Consuming her and the moment of panic because she had no way of stopping it.
He smiled and the whole world. Her world seemed to tilt. Everything clicking into place.
She sighed.
she was a goner and couldn't wait to drown.
"You finally showed up."

"And right on time."

He quipped and for a moment wondered if he understood what she was talking about. His deep guttural voice reminded her of thunder on rainy night.
There was more than an undercurrent of attraction, it went deeper and she knew herself well enough to be the judge and even executioner: Susan Cooper was no more.