Chapter Ten

Zara's POV

'Mum! I'm going to take a quick nap, I'll help you when I wake up. I'm exhausted!' I tell Mum, yawning.

It's Friday afternoon, and I have just returned home from work. Zaid let me leave early today, because of the dinner party tonight. I didn't see him much at work today, but when I did see him once in the morning, he seemed to be in an alright mood. With me, anyway. I left the office at 3pm, it is now 3:45pm. Although I didn't have a full day at work today, I'm still exhausted because there was a lot of work as usual.

"Okay, Zara. Only a quick nap, though. You're making the dessert," Mum replies. I nod and head upstairs to my room. I don't mind making the dessert, I'm thinking of making a chocolate fudge cake, as Hafsa loves the one I make. Anything for her. Maryam has also made a fruit trifle.

I don't know if I'm looking forward to the dinner party, though. Of course I'm looking forward to spending some time with Hafsa, and I'm happy that I will be seeing Aunty and Uncle, but Zaid will also be coming. He's my boss. It's kind of awkward that he will be coming over for dinner, but hopefully it will be alright. He's a nice guy. He actually is.

I'm so exhausted that I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow. And I have a good, comfortable sleep. That's until Mum comes to wake me up.

"Zara! Wake up! It's nearly 5:30pm, you've been asleep for nearly two hours! They will be reaching soon! Please make the cake quickly and put it into the oven, everything else is done. Then change into some nice clothes, please."

I reluctantly open my eyes and yawn. 'Okay, Mum. I'll be right downstairs.' Things I have to do.

I get out of bed and make my way downstairs. I get started on the cake, which really doesn't take long at all. I love baking, and I think it's safe to say that I'm good at it. Hafsa really loves my chocolate fudge cake. So does Uncle.

'It's in the oven, Mum,' I say to her, walking into the living room.

She looks at me and smiles. "That's good, dear. Now please can you go to your room and change into something nice? There are so many clothes you have that you haven't worn even once, please wear something lovely. And do some makeup too if you wish."

I laugh. 'Mum, it's only Hafsa and her family! It's not like they're...coming over to ask for my hand in marriage or something that I have to dress up! But fine, I will. Because I'm bored.'

Mum smirks and nods. "Hurry up, they will be here soon."

I go upstairs to my room and into my walk-in wardrobe. What to wear, what to wear? I decide to wear a rose pink flowy maxi dress. It's new, and I bought it from Forever 21 a few weeks ago. This is my first time wearing it, and it actually looks nice on me. It suits my skin tone, and it fits perfectly. Great.

I hear the doorbell ring downstairs. They're here. They can wait. I quickly brush through my hair, leaving it loose. I apply a small amount of makeup and head downstairs just as I hear Mum call me down.

Hafsa tackles me into a hug as soon as I enter the living room. I chuckle and hug her back. 'I missed you!'

She literally saw me a couple of days ago. She's so crazy, but I love her so much! "I missed you too, Hafsa!"

Then I turn to Aunty and Uncle, who are also so, so amazing. 'Hi, Aunty! Hi, Uncle! How are you? I hope you're well?'

Aunty hugs me and places a gentle kiss on my forehead. I smile. "Hi, dear. We're both very well, and you look so well. You look beautiful!"

'Yes, Zara dear. You do look beautiful, I hope you've been well too?' Uncle asks me in reply.

I grin. "Yes, thanks. I've been well. Thank you so much! Aunty, you look even more beautiful! That purple colour really suits you!"