Chapter Sixteen

Zara's POV

I'm awake at 6am the next morning, and I can't go back to sleep. For nearly an hour, I lay in bed, thinking. Today is the day I am going to tell Zaid everything. I'm not going to leave out a single detail. I want Zaid to know everything. And I'm ready to tell him. I don't know how he'll react, but I know that he will be supportive.

When I think about someone protecting me and keeping me safe from Hamza, Zaid is the first person who enters my mind. I don't know why, but I trust him. I trust him a hell of a lot. During these past few months of working with him, we have grown closer and I'd say that we have almost become friends again. Like old times. I've known him for many years now, and I know exactly what kind of person he is. I know what his qualities and flaws are. He isn't perfect. But then again, who is? I sure am not perfect, in any way. Zaid isn't either, but he is damn close to perfect. He's a great guy.

At 6:50am, I get out of bed and hop into the shower. The warm water of the shower helps me to relax. After taking the quickest shower, I change into my outfit for today, which is a dark green maxi dress. I love this dress, as it is warm and also very comfortable. Also, this colour suits me. The dress is slightly fitted from the top, but it is modest at the same time. The bottom of the dress is flowy. I pair the dress with my favourite black flats. I can't be bothered to wear heels today.

I apply some light makeup quickly. After applying the lightest layer of foundation, I pick up my usual Too Faced mascara, but I put it down straight away. I don't think it's a good idea to apply this mascara today. So, I pick up my favourite Maybelline waterproof mascara instead. I will thank myself later for applying this mascara instead, as I have a feeling I'm going to get emotional later. I apply the first lipstick I see, which is a light nude colour. After finishing up my makeup, I grab my purse and phone, and head downstairs.

I'm sitting at the dining table, having breakfast with my family, when my phone vibrates signalling I have received a text message. I unlock my phone to see that I have received a message from 'No Number'. I look towards my parents. They're having a conversation about a new family who have moved in down the road. Maryam is busy doing something on her phone. I read the text.

Hi, sweetheart! Good morning! I hope you have a great day at work! Have fun, but not too much fun!! I can't wait to see you, I miss you so much, my love! I promise you, though, I will meet you very soon! I'll take you by surprise, okay? That green colour really suits you, by the way! You look stunning! Bye, angel! X

I freeze in my seat. This green colour suits me? How does he know I'm wearing green?! Okay. I am really freaked out right now. How does he know what I'm wearing?! Can he see me right now?! Or... did he see me when I was changing?! That's not possible, is it? He is such a disgusting person, he really makes me sick. Is he outside my home right now? Can he see me from outside? Or has he fixed cameras inside?! I don't feel like eating anymore.

'Zara, dear. Are you okay? Eat,' Mum says to me gently.

"I've eaten, Mum. I'm just slightly tired, I was busy finishing off some work last night. I'll buy something from the café if I get hungry," I say to Mum, giving her a small smile back. I don't want her to get suspicious about anything.

She nods. 'Make sure you do eat something dear, I worry about you!'

I force a laugh. "Mum, you don't need to worry! I will eat something later! Dad, can we please go now? I don't want to be late."

Dad chuckles and nods. 'Of course, dear. Me and your mother are very proud of you.'

I smile. I have the best parents in the whole world. They've always been so amazing to me and Maryam, they've always given us everything we need and much, much more. They're the best. I feel slightly guilty, though, for hiding all this from them.