Chapter Twenty-Five

Zara's POV

It's nearly midnight and I am lying in bed, thinking back to the events of today. Aunty Laiba is lovely, and Asad seems like a nice guy. They're not who I'm thinking about, though. There is only one person on my mind right now, and he is the same person who has somehow managed to make a permanent place in my mind and heart. Zaid. He was acting crazy today.

What was he doing in the kitchen?! Why did he fake that coughing fit, which made him look like a crazy idiot? I don't know what he's up to, but there is definitely something going on in that mind of his. The way he...came so close to me in the kitchen, what was that all about?! I'm not gonna lie to myself and say that I didn't like it, but...what is he up to? He was teasing me, and I liked it. I liked it a lot more than I should have.

I remember his exact words, they are imprinted into my mind. Remembering the things he said to me this evening makes me blush again. I can't control my damn blush around him at all! It's like I automatically start blushing whenever he is around.

'Why are you telling me to move away? Zara, you're saying something, and your body wants something else.'

What is that supposed to mean? That I want him?! He's damn crazy. He's lost his mind, but then again, so have I.

I blush even harder, biting my lip to stop my silly smile from escaping. I'm in bed, there is full darkness in my room, but I still feel as though Zaid will know that I'm blushing. I know, I've lost it. I'm now remembering what he said to me after that. He's so bold and blunt with his words, he's crazy!

'Your fast heartbeat is telling me that you like our closeness very much. You're telling me to move away, but you want me closer.'

'Your complexion is flushed. You're trembling because you like my touch.'

'The way your legs are pressed together right now is driving me insane.'

Zaid will be the death of me one day. I'm driving him insane?! More like the other way around. And what on earth did he mean by that last line?!

Was he just teasing me, or did he mean what he said? He was being possessive of me. 'That blush is only mine. Do you hear that?'

He's right. I was telling him to move away, to leave me alone, but I didn't want him to. I did like our closeness. I feel my heartbeat increase as I remember his words. Zaid is the only guy who has ever made me feel this way. No one else did, and no one else ever will.

He asked me for a freaking kiss?! Why?! He really has gone crazy. I have never seen this side of Zaid before.

The words which keep replaying in my mind the most, though, are 'You are mine.' What does he mean by that? Does he mean what I want him to mean? This behaviour today made me think that maybe, just maybe, he feels something for me, too. I have no idea how and why he would feel something similar for me, but he wouldn't behave like that with me for no reason. I know that for a fact, because Zaid would never do anything to hurt me. Zaid is honestly like my hero. He's always been there for me, whenever I needed him and also whenever I didn't. Even when I refused to tell him anything about my past, about Hamza, Zaid was still there for me. He still did whatever he could to help me. He didn't force me to tell him anything, but he was still supportive. He can never hurt me. I trust Zaid with my life. I have feelings for him, I know, but he is also my friend. That's why I can completely be myself around him.

I chuckle, remembering that I called him a 'watermelon'. In front of Aunty and Mum, too! I really have gone crazy. I love our playful arguments and teasing. I would hate to think about Zaid teasing another girl like this, too. He can't. I hate it whenever I see random girls trying to flirt with him. He doesn't respond to their flirting, but it still annoys me so much. I mean, can't they just keep away from him?!