Chapter Forty-Two

Zara's POV

2 months later (24 May):

Me and Hafsa have just got out of the exam hall, feeling satisfied and excited. Today was our last exam, and it went well. We both have grins on our faces, as we realise that we have the next four months free. Our second year of university will start at the end of September.

Our summer has officially started!

Physically, I am now feeling nearly a hundred percent better. The cuts and bruises all cleared up quickly, and my rib has also healed. Emotionally, however, I don't know how I'm feeling. I still get nightmares of that evening all the time, and whenever my mind travels back to that day, I still get goosebumps and feel terrified. I try not to think about it, but I often find myself thinking back to that evening, especially when I'm not very busy.

After I returned home from the hospital two months ago, I woke up nearly every night for the next two weeks, screaming. The nightmares just got worse and worse. I slept in Maryam's room for nearly a month. No one would leave me alone at home, and I didn't let them leave me alone. I didn't want to be alone. Even though I knew that Hamza is locked up and he's not getting out anytime soon, I still couldn't help but feel afraid. Like I was still being watched at every moment.

I took a month off from university, but I studied as hard as I could at home. Me, Hafsa and Ayesha would have study sessions in my room all the time, and they would go over what I'd missed at university. I wasn't able to concentrate at all for that first month after the unfateful evening, but I put my mind and soul into my revision last month, and I gave it all the time I could. I didn't go out very often at all, therefore I stayed in my room, revising. I had three exams, which all went well. I guess we'll find out how we did in two months though, when we get our results back.

My family, friends, and Hafsa's family have been so supportive. If it wasn't for them, I definitely wouldn't be here right now. I'm actually fine now. I do still feel afraid, but I know that Hamza can't hurt me now. I'm trying my best to forget, but I don't know when I will actually be able to forget everything.

'We're coming over this evening, babe,' Hafsa says to me, smiling.

I nod. Oh yes, I had nearly forgotten. Hafsa and her family are coming over to my house this evening, for dinner. They've been coming over a lot recently, and I really love that they have. They're all amazing, they're family to me. My own relatives, such as my grandparents, aunts and uncles have been supportive of me too, and they've been visiting me from time to time, but Hafsa's family is just amazing. Hafsa's parents treat me like their own daughter, and they have been doing everything they can to cheer me up. Hafsa's closer than a sister to me, she's been amazing. She has been staying with me most nights, and has been helping me shower and change my clothes last month. She's been doing everything for me. She's too lovely.

And what can I say about Zaid? I don't know what to say about him. He's the best guy in the whole world. He saved my life, my dignity, my everything. Zaid was absolutely heartbroken after that evening, and he has been absolutely amazing to me. He's been so caring and protective of me. He was at the hospital with me the entire time for the three days I spent there. And he has been visiting me with his parents all the time when I returned home. I love him so much. I can't explain how much he means to me, how much I love him. But let me just say that I didn't know it was even possible to love someone so much. He has made me believe in love again. He has made me believe that love does exist.

"That's great, Hafsa! I can't wait," I tell her, smiling back.

She grins. 'We have a small surprise, too. Which you'll find out this evening, so don't give me that look because I'm not telling you what it is right now!'