In His Wake

It had been four weeks since he'd left for Biggin Hill. Four weeks, and it still hurt as much as it did on the first day. He had sent a letter telling her of his arrival, he detailed the journey to London and the bus ride to the base. He spoke fondly of the men he had met and said he missed her dearly. Ali's heart ached at his words. It had been three weeks since she had heard from him. She had sent him a letter back of course, but no reply came. How she longed to hear his voice again, to have his warm lips whispering against her ear once more.

Looking into the oval mirror on her vanity table, her reflection shocked her. Her green eyes were sunken into dark circles that stood out in contrast against her pallor skin. Her blonde hair hung in tattered waves around her shoulders. Tucked into the frame of the mirror was a small polaroid sized photo of her and Jack. The edges had frayed somewhat but the faded photo reminded her of happier times.

"I don't know about this," she eyed the water below her nervously.

"Just swing already!" Jack was already in the water along with Charlie, another of their friends.

"Come on Ali!" Emily sang from the opposite bank, her grin was evident even from where Ali stood. Her friend had already made the jump herself and was now boldly encouraging Ali to do the same.

"Okay, here goes. 3...2...1..." Ali sucked in a deep breath "I can't!"

Emily fell back onto the grassy bank, throwing her head back in laughter.

"How long is this now?" Charlie teased pretending to check a watch on his wrist.

"Come on Ali, get in already!" Jack shouted through laughter "I'm sorry my love, get in the water," he says more gently now.

Ali pattered from foot to foot as she psyched herself up for the jump ahead. She gripped the rope tight in both hands before taking a step back and jumping into the air. A joyful scream escaped her as she swung through the air, holding the rope. At the last moment she released her grip and splashed down into the creek below.

"Finally!" Charlie exclaimed throwing his arms into the air .

Ali surfaced from the water, her wet hair sticking to the side of her face.

"See, it wasn't that bad," Jack was beside her in the water. He tilted her chin upwards.

Ali smiled up at him, his beautiful blue eye were alight in the sun and water dripped from his messy blonde hair. She placed a delicate hand on his bare torso, letting her fingers caress him, before she reached up onto the tips of her toes, lifted out of the water and kissed him.

"Not bad at all," she smiled breaking the kiss apart.

A wide grin spread across his face. He hurriedly cupped her face in his hands and kissed her quickly over and over. Ali squealed in delight as she waded through the water trying to escape him. Jack dived down into the creek, only to spring up inches from Ali. Laughing he pushed his hands forward, sending a wave of water over her.

Falling back into the water she laughed. Jack paddled over to her, his face still beaming with a wide smile.

"Come on you two, lunch is out!" Emily calls from the bank.

Jack stands, the water reaching just below his waist. He offers his hand to Ali and she gladly accepts it. The two of them wade out of the creek and climb the shallow bank to the grassy field where Emily and Charlie are sitting on a red blanket.

"Here," Jack says warmly as he drapes his pale blue shirt around Ali's shoulders.

"Thank you," she smiles up at him.

He rests his arm around her shoulders and places a soft kiss on the top of her head.

"Hold still you two!" Emily calls as she approaches them. "Lets get a photograph," she grins waving the bulky black camera in the air.

Ali leans her head against Jack's chest as he plants another kiss on her head. This time Emily snaps a photograph, capturing the perfect moment forever.

"Perfect!" She beams, holding her thumb up.

"Yes they're absolutely gorgeous, now for love of the good Lord, can we please eat!" Charlie whines from the blanket.

The memory floods her mind and she smiles fondly as her hand reaches out to touch the photograph. How long ago this memory seems now.

"Ali I'm jus-" her mother bursts through the door but stops in her tracks when she catches sight of her daughter "My God child, you look terrible. Are you ill?"

Ali rolls her eyes and huffs as she stands "No mother, isn't it obvious?"

Her mother frowns "This has been going on for weeks, you can't live like this,"

"What am I supposed to do?" Ali quips back.

Her mothers expression hardens "You watch your tongue miss, now I liked that young man, but you are doing him a disservice here by wallowing in your self pity," she waves her arms towards Ali.

"I just miss him," Ali slumps onto the edge of her bed "I miss him so much," she whispers through falling tears.

Her mother sits beside her on the bed and rests a soft hand on Ali's leg "I know you do my sweet, and no doubt he misses you too-"

"Then why hasn't he written?" Ali exclaims.

Her mothers eyes are sympathetic "I don't know love but what I do know is that you can't stay like this any longer, who knows how long he'll be gone for. You need to stay strong,"

Ali sniffles back her tears and wipes at her eyes "I don't know how to be strong mother,"

Ali's mother laughed then "Of course you do child, you're a woman, it's our job,"

Ali forced a smile before pulling her mother into an embrace.

"Now, put a smile on your face, you can come with me into town," her mother rose from the bed and headed towards the door.

"Ali!" The voice of her sister Katie sounded loudly as she hurried through the door.

Her sister was breathless from running up the stairs, her eyes were bright as she rushed towards Ali. Their mother eyed them curiously as she lingered at the doorway.

"What is it Katie?" Ali asks, standing from the bed.

Katie extends her hand boldly "A letter," she proclaims "It's from Jack!"

A/N: Hi everyone, please leave a comment if you are enjoying the story so far. I want to keep updating as I have lots of ideas for the content, so let me know your thoughts so far!! Thank you!