One More Good Day

The entire walk back to her house, Ali stared at the ring on her finger. The round diamond sparkled in the sunlight. As she twisted her hand from side to side, light beams refracted onto the snow.

"You happy?" Jack asks holding her other hand in his as they walked.

Ali nodded "Very!"

Jack chuckled as he watched her.

"It's a beautiful ring," Ali comments.

"It was my great grandmothers," Jack explains "I think it was her grandmothers before her too. So it's been around for a very long time,"

Ali's eyes widen "A very long time," she agrees staring back at the ring.

"And now it's yours my love," Jack wraps his arm around her shoulder and kisses the top of her head.

Ali snaps her gaze away from the ring and wraps both her arms around Jacks middle. She leans up and kisses him softly on the lips.

"I really wish you didn't have to leave tonight," she sighs.

As she pushes open her front door the house is dark and quiet. Ali and Jack step inside, closing the door behind them.

"Mother?" Ali calls out "Katie!"

No reply. Ali looks at Jack confused as she shrugs her coat off and hooks it onto the coat rack.

Ali walks into the living room

"Mother-"

"Surprise!" A loud cheer sounds as the lights flicker on.

Ali brings her hands to her face in shock. Her mother and Katie are here, Mr and Mrs Collins too and so is Emily and her family. There is also another man that Ali doesn't recognise.

"What is this?" Ali squeaks.

"Happy engagement darling!" Her mother cries as she hurries towards Ali and pulls her into a hug.

"I'm so happy for you both!" She pulls Jack into the hug also.

"You knew?" Ali asks pulling back

Jack laughs lightly "Well I had to ask permission,"

"Let's see the ring," Katie coos.

Ali holds out her hand and all of the women in the room gather around her.

"Beautiful!" Emily smiles.

The women ooh and ahh around Ali as she regels the story of how Jack proposed to her.

"Her father would be proud,"

Jack turns his head to see Jim Dawson,  Emily's father standing beside him.

Jack smiles sadly at him "Wish he could have been here,"

Mr Dawson nods. The two of them say no more as they watch the women excite over Ali. Mr Dawson had never been a man of many words. Jack should know, he'd known the man all of his life.

"Congrats J," Peter, Emily's younger brother claps Jack on the shoulder.

"Thanks Peter,"

"Lucky bastard," the voice startles Peter and he looks warily over his shoulder.

"Farrier!" Jack hugs him once and claps him on the back. "You made it,"

"Of course, had to meet this pretty gal of yours,"

"Ali come over here," Jack waves her over.

Ali comes to stand beside Jack. He smiles are her proudly as he takes her hands in his.

"Ali I want you to meet my flying partner and friend Tom Farrier,"

"And Farrier, I want you to meet my beautiful Ali,"

Farrier extends his hand towards Ali "A pleasure to meet you Ali. I've heard a lot about you,"

Ali blushes "All good I hope,"

Farrier chuckles lightly "Don't you worry yourself. All is good,"

The celebrations continued long into the night. Ali was sat on Jack's knee, the two of them watching the others. Mr and Mrs Collins stood talking with Ali's mother in the kitchen, the three of them with mugs of tea in hand. Katie was chatting excitedly with Peter Dawson. He leaned forward, listening to her intently, his bright eyes captivated by her laughter.

"I think Peter likes Katie," Jack whispers into Ali's ear.

Ali leans back against him. Her head resting on his shoulder "I think so too,"

Farriers booming laugh cuts across the room and he clinks his beer bottle with Emily as they laugh at whatever has been said.

"Farrier seems like a nice guy," Ali hums.

"Yeah he is,"

They watch Farrier and Emily for a few moments.

"Please tell me this isn't the guy who's giving you a ride back to London," Ali eyes Jack worried.

Jack takes a swig of his beer bottle "He is actually,"

Ali's eyes widen "He's drunk, you can't be serious!"

Jack chuckles then "Relax my love. We're not leaving till the morning,"

Ali sits forward then, a hug grin on her face "Are you serious?" she beams.

Jack sits up also, his hand resting against the small of Ali's back "Now what kind of man leaves his fiancée the day they just got engaged,"

"You knew you weren't leaving tonight all along didn't you?"

Jack nods then leans forward and plants a soft kiss on Ali's lips "Of course I did," he mumbles against her.

Jack deepens the kiss but is cut short when he feels Ali's teeth bite down softly on his bottom lip. He opens his eyes and her sea green eyes are watching him daringly.

"Not here," she whispers.

Jack nods understanding. He stands and clears his throat.

"Will you walk with me Ali?" He takes her by the hand and leads her out of the living room.

Farrier watches after them, raising his beer towards Jack as they shrug on their coats.

As they leave the house the front door clicks shut behind them. Jack takes Ali by the hand and the two of them walk hand in hand down the moonlit path. The snow beneath their feet has iced over and Ali clings onto Jack as the two of them tip toe across the slippy surface.

"I don't think we can do it out here," Ali chuckles.

Jack chuckles too "I didn't bring you out here for that," he kisses her hand "I just wanted to walk with you one more time,"

Ali stops walking "One more time," she sighs.

Jack stops walking and moves to stand in front of her "I...I don't know when I'll be back again,"

Ali feels the familiar stinging coming to her eyes as tears start to pool. She blinks rapidly, holding the tears back.

"But you will come back, you promised me," she takes Jack's hands.

"I promise you I'll come back," Jack grips her hands tight.

"And when I do...I'm gonna marry you Ali Dawes,"