For Old Times Sake

The three of them stood shivering at the waters edge. The shallow waters of the tide washed over their feet making them flinch.

"It's freezing!" Emily patters from foot to foot looking at the other two to her left.

"Are you sure about this?" Ali asks in disbelief.

"Absolutely not!" Jack grins widely from between the two of them. He grabs a hand each and races towards the sea "But we're doing it anyway!"

Charging forward the icy waters whip at their legs. Shrieks and shrill cries are heard as Jack dives in, pulling the two girls with him.

"Jack!" Ali and Emily cry out together as they emerge from under the water.

Jack laughs loudly, throwing his head back as he does. The sight of the girls in front of him and the look on their faces is priceless.

Ali pushes her long hair out of her face with the back of her hand.

"There's something in my eye," she whines, blinking quickly.

"Let me see," Jack wades over to her, the water coming just above waist height. "Where?" He asks tilting her chin up.

"Here," Ali points.

Jack furrows his brow "I don't see-"

Suddenly Jack is pushed under the water as Emily jumps onto his back. Ali laughs as Jack is completely taken by surprise and pushed under.

When he surfaces, a wave a water washes over him as Ali hits the water, splashing him over and over.

"Stop, stop!" He pleads. Water runs off his hair and down his face. He paws at his eyes, wiping the water from them.

Ali and Emily stop the splashing and try to stifle their laughter as they look at him.

"You tricked me," He says to Ali as he swims towards her.

She shrugs coyly "Maybe I did,"

Jack stops just in front of her, their lips inches apart. His gazes at her for a moment and her sea green eyes watch him attentively. Leaning forward he plants a soft kiss onto her lips. Water from his hair drops down between them, breaking the kiss apart.

They both chuckle lightly.

"Look!" Emily exclaims as she swims towards them.

Three Spitfires fly in a triangular formation over head. They're moving fast and soon enough they are way out at sea.

The three of them watch after the planes and listen until the loud roaring of the engine is no more than a low rumble. The three of them stay silent for a few minutes, bobbing in the water. The planes were a bitter reminder to them that no matter how happy they were, war is always around the corner.

Back on dry land Jack pulls a towel around Ali's shoulders, rubbing them gently. Her pale skin was mottled red and her lips were tinged with blue.

"Cold love?" Jack winks at her.

She digs him in the ribs with her elbow "What...gave it away?" she shudders, breaking into a smile.

Jack laughs and pulls her in close. As she leans against his chest he rubs her back and shoulders. Ali relaxes against him, reveling in the heat of his body against hers.

After a few moments she pulls away and reaches for her clothes on the sand. She buttons up her white blouse and tucks it into her floral patterned skirt before pulling her swimming costume down from under her clothes. Her wet hair hangs down in beachy waves, leaving a damp patch on the back of her shirt. She pulls the towel back around her shoulders.