The Last Time

*Added Bonus Chapter*

It was a few days later and Ali was sitting at her desk. As she tapped away on the type writer the diamond sparkling on her finger caught the light and glinted. Ali paused and lifted her hand, her eyes fixed on the beautiful ring. The greenish blue of the emeralds seemed brighter today and she sighed softly.

"Beautiful," 

Ali looked up to see her supervisor John standing beside her desk. His brown suit jacket was slightly too big and his blue tie was crooked. Ali struggled with her words as she furrowed her brow.

John cleared his throat awkwardly "The ring," he pointed to Ali's hand.

"Oh right," Ali laughed nervously and glanced back down at her ring "Yes, thank you," she fumbled.

"Dr Harrington certainly knows how to treat a lady," 

Ali raises her eyebrow. John was harmless enough but she couldn't help feel uncomfortable whenever he came over to speak with her. He always stood slightly too close and he liked to pat her shoulder whenever he laughed at something which really wasn't funny.

"He's great," Ali says tightly forcing a smile, she turns back to her desk.

A cold hand touches her shoulder and Ali flinches at his touch, pushing his hand away gently.

"Take lunch Ali," John smiles "Your husband is in the lobby," 

Ali exhales in relief and stands quickly, ducking away from John as she manoeuvres around him. She gathers her long coat and shrugs it on.

"Almost husband," Ali corrects as she waves goodbye to John and hurries from the office. 

When the elevator arrives at the ground floor Ali opens the door and steps out. The lobby is fairly busy and as her red heeled shoes click along the marble floor her eyes scan the lobby for James. She walks to the centre of the lobby and turns around on the spot. She searches the faces for his familiar grey blue eyes and kind smile but she cannot see him.

"Ali!" Olivia the lobby receptionist beckons her over. 

Ali hurries over to the desk and leans against it as Olivia giggles leaning up towards her.

"Your man is in the lounge," she nods to the large doorway to the left of the desk. 

Olivia was twenty-one years old, like Ali. She had started in the building last week and it was clear to everyone who met her that Olivia was loud and talkative and a flirt but she was sweet and Ali had warmed to her immediately.

"Thanks Olivia," Ali taps the desk and begins to walk away.

"Such a dreamboat," Olivia gushes and Ali grins wide.

"You are terrible," Ali rolls her eyes.

"He'd love it," Olivia pouts "Tell him I'm available if he wants to trade up," she winks at Ali as she inspects her manicured nails.

Ali's mouth gapes open "Remind me why I like you again?" 

Olivia blows her a kiss before sitting back at her desk "Don't want to keep him waiting miss Dawes. That way," Olivia keeps her eyes fixed on the type writer, her mouth curls into a teasing smile as she waves Ali towards the lounge.

Ali shakes her head grinning as she makes her way into the lounge. There's only one person in there and it isn't James. Ali freezes on the spot, her eyes fixed on him. He is facing away from her sitting in a comfy leather armchair, he hasn't noticed her yet. His blonde hair is tousled and styled and he's wearing a dark blue suit. He lifts his arm and brings the crystal tumbler to his lips, taking a swig of his drink.