Complication

Her shoes click clack along the paving stones as she hurries to the end of the road and turns right. St Georges Hospital is half way down the road on the right hand side. When she reaches the front step she see's James holding a newspaper over his head at the top of the stone staircase. He waves happily when he see's her and jogs down the stairs.

"Evening Ali," He kisses her cheek and steps under the umbrella with her.

"Sorry I'm late," Ali says as the two of them start walking further down the road.

James shakes his head as he flips his wrist checking the time "Hardly late," he smiles. "How was your day?" He asks as he takes the umbrella to hold over them both.

Ali loops her arm around his "You first,"

James chuckles "Okay. My day was busy, more and more wounded men arrive every day. I had to amputate both legs off a twenty-three year old man today. It's a cruel thing war, it's a wonder God allows it," he sighs as they round the corner and wait to cross over the busy road.

"At least God spared his life," Ali says quietly.

James hums in agreement "Yes but at what cost? That man will never walk again. His whole life will be different now,"

"But a life he has," Ali counteracts. "My father told me that the first great war was like an ocean. You had to keep swimming to stay at the surface, to stay in the light. If you stopped swimming you'd sink and the darkness would drown you,"

"I guess you're right," James pats her arm as they cross over the cobbled road. "So tell me about your day,"

Ali pauses for a moment and bites her lip, unsure of what to say.  "I saw Jack earlier," she confesses.

James turns his head to watch her as they walk, his eyes wide.

"He was waiting for me after work," Ali adds.

"How did he know where you worked?" James asks.

"My mother told him," Ali rolls her eyes.

James nods once and clears his throat "What did he have to say?" 

"He was sorry," Ali stares ahead, her voice flat. "They're sending him to France,"

James' eyes soften and he places a comforting hand over hers "I'm sorry Ali,"

A single tear rolls down onto Ali's cheek as she stares blankly at the path ahead. The rest of the walk continues in a comfortable silence. Ali's mind works through every moment of the past eight months. How things had changed. She wished for nothing else but to go back to the wildflower field and lay in Jack's arms again; but this time she wouldn't let him leave, he would stay and he wouldn't have to make stupid promises to her. She remembered walking down the country lane with Emily and she remembered running through the storm and being saved by James.

Ali gives his arm a comforting squeeze and James smiles at her. What would she do without him?  She'd known him for eight months but it felt like a life time. James was a good man, a kind man; he was reliable and safe and deep down Ali knew how he felt about her, but it was something they continuously overlooked. She looks at his face from the corner of her eye. His blue-grey eyes are bright and loving and it makes Ali smile to know she has somebody like him in her life.

"We're home," James announces happily as they reach the large town house.

They hurry through the small iron gate and up the steps to the large black wooden door. The house keeper, Mrs Moore opens the door and the two of them hasten inside out of the rain. James shuts down the umbrella before shutting the door behind him.