The Phone Call

The lump of butter sizzled in the pan. Ali turned the pan spreading the hot liquid around before she added several strips of bacon.  The pan spluttered and out shot hot droplets of butter that stung her bare arms.

"Ow!" She shrieks, patting her arm.

Using a fork she turned the bacon and finally it began sizzling more calmly. Ali moved away from the stove to stand by the open backdoor. With a cup of tea in hand she leaned against the door frame and admired the late January morning. It was New Years Day and the sun was high and bright in the sky. The snow on the ground glistened like crystals as it withered and melted. The air was still cold and the ground crunched beneath her feet as she stepped out onto the back step. Her breath fogged up in a small cloud in front of her but the sun warmed her bare arms and she smiled. It was a beautiful day.

"Knock, knock," 

James taps the the side of the house as he appears smiling. 

"James," Ali sings. She sets her cup of tea on the step and embraces him in a warm hug.

"I have these for you, your mother and sister" He holds out a beautiful bunch of white and yellow flowers.

"You didn't have to do that," Ali takes the flowers from him and leads him inside the house.

"I wanted to," he replies following Ali up the step and into the kitchen.

Ali turns to face him "It's very kind, thank you-"

"Is something burning?" James sniffs the air.

"The bacon!" Ali darts round, handing the flowers hastily back to James as she grabs the pan and flips the bacon which was now a dark crisp colour.

James chuckles as he sets the flowers on the table. He removes his fedora hat and suit jacket. His red tie contrasts with his crisp white shirt and navy blue suit trousers. So smart, as always she thought.

Ali sighs "It was supposed to be a surprise for you. To thank you for the party last night," her eyes sad as she regards the burnt bacon in the pan.

James rubs her shoulder "You didn't have to do that,"

Ali grins then "I wanted to," she repeats James' earlier words.

He laughs then, just as Katie appears in the doorway.

"Oh hi James. Err Ali there's a phone call for you," Katie announces.

Ali looks towards James.

"It's fine, I'll make us some fresh bacon," he smiles, taking the pan from Ali.

Ali unfastens the apron from around her waist and hands it to James before she leaves the kitchen and walks towards the front door where the telephone rested nearby on a small side table. Ali regarded the phone with curiosity before answering it. The phone hardly ever rang these days. Only for bad news she thought, but she tried to push that thought away as she picked up the hand set.

"Hello, Ali speaking," she answers.

"Ali," 

"Jack?" Her voice lights up upon hearing him. "This is such a wonderful surprise! How are you? I thought it was going to be an officer with terrible news. I know I shouldn't think that but it was only for a moment. Happy New Year by the way," The words tumble out of her mouth quick with excitement.

"Happy New Year my love," His voice is reserved and laced with sadness.

"What's wrong my darling?" Ali picks up on Jack's tone. 

"Nothing my love, I'm just a bit tired. Tell me about your night," he clears his throat.

Ali smiles reassured "It was wonderful. Emily and I went to a New Year's Eve party at the Harrington House. It was quite lovely actually,"