A Mother's Words

It was now March. It had been three months since he had heard from her. For over a month he had phoned every day, but always it was Katie or Mrs Dawes who answered. She never spoke to him. His mind replayed the last words she said to him over and over.

"Goodbye Jack," 

Every time he thought about it his heart lurched. He refused to accept it was the end for them. They'd had fights before and arguments- many of them. They'd been friends since childhood, nothing had tore them apart.

This is different, his conscience harshly reminded him. 

This was different- definitely. Ali could never go longer than a few days before cracking and talking with him eventually but here he was three months later and still no word. It was his fault of course, he thought about it every day and every day he longed to take it back, longed to hear her voice, to see her face- but she never came.

He hurried towards the waiting truck. The base was bustling with people today. Soldiers trying to get home for a brief visit, families coming to visit their sons before they were sent away. Jack pushed through the crowds of people trying to get to the truck that was parked alongside a grassy verge.

"Jack!" 

He heard the familiar voice calling after him. He ignored it.

"Jack!" It was closer now. 

Suddenly he felt a tug on his sleeve. He whirled around and saw Erica standing in front of him.

He narrowed his eyes at her. They had only spoken occasionally since it had happened and each time, Jack squirmed with a mixture of awkwardness and anger.

"Erica," He says tightly.

"Still hate me I see," Erica sighs.

Jack purses his lips "I don't hate you," 

Erica scoffs "Seems like it,"

Jack groans in frustration "What do you want me to say Erica? What happened, should't have and it's easier for me to stay away from you and not face what I've done!" Jack spits out.

Erica's face falls as she listens to his words.

"I know it was wrong," she begins "But I'm in love with you Jack. I think I have been since you walked me back to base last year,"

Jack steps back. He's taken aback by Erica's words. Slowly he starts to shake his head.

"I'm sorry if I've mislead you...but I don't love you," He says slowly.

A tear rolls down Erica's cheek "You still love her?" she sniffs.

"Always," Jack says surely. He reaches out and wipes the tear off Erica's cheek, she sighs sadly at his action and pushes his hand away.

Jack turns to carry on through the crowd when he hears her voice again.

"I'm pregnant Jack,"

The words cut into him like a knife through butter. He stops walking, the world spinning around him. It's as if time has stopped and he's moving in slow motion. He turns to face her.

"It's yours," Erica adds "Please Jack,"

He regards her for a few moments. Her lips are moving but the words make no sense. Before he knows what's happening, his feet start moving. He's pushing through the crowds of people, moving further and further away from Erica. He can hear her shouting after him. He glances over his shoulder and see's her lost face disappear in the gathering crowds.