The Two Of Us

"What does he say?" Emily grins, her arm resting across the back of the chair her eyes follow me about the room.

"He says training continues to be intense but that he's coming along well..." Ali's eyes flit across the words "Oh no, he's hurt," her eyes scan quickly across the page.

"He says he's sprained his ankle following a morning run and that the medics have signed him off all physical exercise for nearly two weeks,"

"Is he okay?" Emily questions, concern laced through her voice.

Ali nods slowly "He says he should be back to full health after then, aside from that he says all is well and that he thinks of me often," her lips curve into a smile as she kisses the letter before folding it carefully and storing it in her keepsake box.

"I'm glad to hear it," Emily smiles lightly.

Ali touches her shoulder gently "Have you heard from Charlie?"

Emily shakes her head "It's been weeks, I don't even know if he's been getting my letters,"

"I'm sure he will write," she gives Emily's shoulder a squeeze before pulling on a cream knitted cardigan over her blue floral print dress.

"Come on, lets walk," Ali extends her hand towards Emily, pulling her up from the seat.

"It really is strange isn't it," Emily muses as she looks around her.

"What is?"

"That they're all gone, the men I mean, it's so strange without them,"

Ali nods weakly "It certainly is,"

The two of them walked arm in arm down the country lane. Either side of the road slopped into a shallow ditch and on either side of the road, open farmers fields spanned far off into the distance. Tall poplar trees lined the road, casting dark shadows in front of them.

A low rumble in the distance was heard. The two of them looked up into the sky. The rumbling sound was becoming louder and louder. Flying towards them, a Supermarine Spitfire, the red, white and blue symbol of the RAF clear on its side.

"A spitfire!" Emily announced pointing and waving at the pilot far off into the distance.

Ali's face lit up as the plane whizzed by overhead. It was the first time she had seen an air plane so close.

"Wasn't that amazing!" Emily smiled brightly, looping Ali's arm in hers once more.

"I've never seen them that close before," Ali commented.

"Father says they'll be flying over us more and more now, what with the army being pushed back in France and what not,"

"You don't think they'll send Jack or Charlie away do you,"

"I don't know, they're so young, I think they'd send more experienced pilots first," Emily's lips tighten into a straight line "Besides, they haven't even started their pilot training yet,"

Ali nodded slowly "I hope you're right," her eyes glaze over with worry as she ponders the possibility that sooner or later Jack would eventually be sent overseas.

The two of them continued walking, talking idly of trivial things. The skies around them were becoming an ever darker shade of grey. Heavy clouds rolled in from over the ocean and with the clouds, came the rain. Fat heavy droplets cascaded down onto them.

"Run!" Ali shrieked holding her cardigan over her head. The two friends ran for shelter beneath one of the poplar trees, which did little to shield them from the beating rain. Ali's dress clung to her body, the thin material doing little to keep her warm.

As they huddled together, hoping for the shower to pass, a large saloon car manoeuvred slowly up the lane. The car stopped on the road and the drivers door opened.

"Can I offer to drive you ladies?" The voice calls out.

Emily and Ali hurry across the grass towards the road. The rain is still falling down heavy when they reach the car.

"Where are you heading?" The man smiles, shielding his eyes from the rain.

"About two miles up this road," Ali breathes.

"Hop in, I'll gladly drive you," The man nods as he slides back into the car.

Ali slips into the front seat and Emily climbs into the back seat.

The low rumble of the engine is heard as the care pulls away.

"Thank you Sir," Ali acknowledges after a few moments. She wipes the moisture from her face and pushes her wet hair back.

"Don't mention it. What were you two ladies doing outside in this weather?" He looks across to Ali.

Ali chuckles lightly "It was meant to be an afternoon walk, but it didn't go as planned,"

The man nods, turning back to the road.

"I had only nipped out to drop my mother off with a friend, you're lucky I drove by,"

"We're truly grateful, thank you Sir-"

"James, please," his eyes meet hers and he smiles sweetly again.

"James," Ali repeats "Well thank you again,"

A comfortable silence falls around them as they continue down the road for the next few minutes.

"Anywhere here will do," Ali announces as the car nears her house.

James stops the car, steps out and hurries to open the door for Emily and then Ali.

"Oh you didn't have to," Ali says stepping out of the car.

"I know," James shrugs "I wanted to," he adds.

Ali tucks a strand of hair behind her ear before walking down the lane towards her house.

"Wait!" James calls after her. She turns to face him "I didn't catch your name,"

"Ali Dawes," she calls back.

"Well Miss Dawes, I hope to see you again soon," and with that, the mystery that is James gets back into his car and continues on down the lane.

Ali watches as his car disappears out of sight. Emily is back at her side and the two of them walk the short distance to the house. The rain had stopped now and the air was cool and damp around them.

"How strange," Emily mumbles.

"What is?" Ali questions.

"Meeting him. Wouldn't you agree?" Emily asks.

Ali shakes her head "There was nothing to it. A friendly stranger at most,"

"Maybe so," Emily muses.

As they round the corner into the front path, Ali is stopped in her tracks. The figure in front of her is so familiar to her yet so different, could it really be?

"Jack!"

A/N: Hi everyone, please vote up or comment if you're enjoying the story :) Thank you!! 17/01/18