New Beginnings

'Hmmph' Jack grunts as he heaves the last of the heavy sacks into the back of the truck. He jumps down from the wagon and gives the side of the vehicle a heavy pat-pat. The driver gives a lingering thumbs up out of the window before slowly pulling away.

Sweat drips down his back as the summers sun beats down on him. It was now the first week of September and Jack had remained at Uxbridge for the past two weeks.

The base was gradually becoming more busy as men returned back from France. The officers and higer-ups are spending endless days drafting out a new course of action. Since the debacle regarding Dunkirk, word has it that old Churchill is reluctant to send troops back over to France. There's a feeling in the air that the German Luftwaffe will move their advances to Britain and Churchill wants us to be ready.

"Collins!" A stern voice calls out to him.

He spins immediately on his heels and salutes automatically "Sir,"

"At ease"

Jack lowers his hand and relaxes somewhat.

"Captain Blake wants to see you," the squadron leader announces. He makes to leave.

"Did he say what for?" the words escape Jack before he can stop himself.

"Do I look like a fucking mind reader Collins? Get over there now and find out for your fucking self," he turns impatiently and Jack salutes as the man walks away hastily.

He watches him leave, lowers his hand then starts to jog towards the officers building.

Once inside the building Jack knocks gingerly against the solid bottle green door. A voice murmurs from inside.

"Ahh Collins, come in and close the door,"

Captain Blake is stood behind a solid oak desk. He is flicking through an open file in his arms and scanning the papers.

"You wanted to see me sir?" the door clicks shut behind Jack.

"Hmm," Blake muses idly "Sit," he gestures to the chair infront of Jack. Blake himself sits across the desk from him.

"I'll get straight to it Collins, your efforts in France were admirable and the higher ups want to see more from you,"

Jacks eyes widen, this wasn't what he expected.

"You're being promoted to flying officer,"

Jack's ears ring and he pauses momentarily.

Blake nods "Yes well, congratulations. Keep up the good work lad and you'll make lieutenant before you know it,"

Blake stands sharply and Jack follows suit.

"Sir-" Jack makes to speak but is cut off by Blake.

"Oh and one more thing, I believe you have need to be returning home very soon,"

Jack's brow furrows "Sir?"

"Unless you want that baby of yours to grow up without ever knowing you," Blakes tone remains the same.

"I was under the impression I wouldn't be granted leave so soon upon returning to Uxbridge,"

Blake busies himself shuffling papers on his desk "Well you assumed wrong didn't you. I think you best get along and pack your bags Collins, the bus to the south-west leaves this afternoon,"

Jacks struggles to collect his thoughts, his words stick in his throat as he stares dumbfounded at Captain Blake.

Blake eyes him "Of course we can always retract this period of leave if you'd prefer?"