Chapter 7: Secrets

"Wake up, Alex." Harlow pat my back.

"I don't want to." I whine.

"It wasn't a question, dork." She couldn't help but laugh at me being childish. When I'm sleepy, I act childish.

"Whatever, dude. I'll get up." I stood up and slowly walked to my bathroom.

"I'm doing your makeup for the party tonight, right?" She called from the bedroom.

"Yeah. As long as u don't make me look like a raccoon, then I'm good with anything." I wash my face before doing my eyebrows.

"Dang. I thought you would love that look." She giggled as she came into the bathroom with me. She grabbed my black curling wand and plugged it up.

"Hey, I have to drop my sister off at school on our way to school. Is that chill with you?"

"Of course, dude. It's cute how y'all are close. I wish I had that with my siblings." She averts her eyes from mine and started to curl her hair.

"It's not always perfect. How many siblings do you have?" I finish the rest of my makeup routine. I took my hair out of the lazy bun and let my soft curls out for the day.

"I had two but now I only have 1," She said quietly.

Now I could see that was a touchy subject. I don't pick up on cues. One of my many flaws. 

I turn on my speaker and play music. "I'm really an only child, to say the least." She said while unplugging the curling wand.

"Well, you're not alone. You got me." I smiled at her and she did as well.

"That was corny." She shook her head in disapproval.

"That's what you're going to get with me." I shrug.

**

We got to school ten minutes early and decided to stay in the car and listen to music.

"Oh! I got a song you'll like." Harlow grabs my phone off the grey console and browsed through my playlists.

I look outside and watch other kids walk inside while Harlow tried to find the music she wanted.

I missed Wyoming, but not the people. Wyoming is beautiful until the people there ruined it. I don't know why they can't look past their stereotypical judgment and see me as me.

"Who's Brian?" She asked, interrupting my train of thought.

My heart started to race. "Wait what?" I grab the phone to see an unknown number texting me.

Unknown Number:
It's Brian. please, babe, forgive me. I know I shouldn't have said what I said. I didn't mean it, babe! I was drunk, and I wasn't thinking right. Don't make me come find you. We can work this out. Stop ignoring my calls and talk to me. Just give me a second chance. Text me back. I love you.

I knew he was lying when he said he didn't mean it. Being drunk just reveals your sober thoughts. He never loved me. He only loved the thought of me being there for him when he needed a punching bag. If he did love me, he wouldn't have done what he did.

I delete the text and hand it back to Harlow. "Nobody."

"It had to be somebody if they sent you a paragraph." She examined my face for an answer. My body froze.

"It isn't anybody important, trust me." I could see she wouldn't leave it alone.

"C'mon. Just tell me."

"Let's get to class." I brushed her off and grab my backpack.

"You will tell me sometime."

"It won't be soon." We got out of the car and started to walk to school.