Chapter 35: Water

"You guys kissed?!" Harlow exclaimed as she watched me pace back and forth in her room.

After we kissed, we said it was a mistake and left it at that.

Just a mistake

One single mistake.

A mistake that I would do over and over again if I could.

But I wouldn't.

It's been weeks since it happened. We acted like we normally do now and just kinda forgot it kinda happened.

Of course, I didn't forget.

"Earth to Alex?!" She threw her hands in the air to get my attention from my thoughts. "Explain when you were going to tell me."

"We were just goofing off.....and.......next thing you know we're kissing." I slumped next to her on the king-size bed. I looked at the window her brother once broke but now looked brand-new. "Later on, we agreed that it was a big mistake."

"Do you like him?" I sat there quietly, already knowing I like him. She sighed. "You definitely like him."

How could I not? He made me feel something I've never felt before. I felt alive again when I was with him.

I plopped backwards on her bed and let out a frustrated groan. "What am I going to do, Harlow?"

She laid back with me. "If you like him, then pursue it."

I roll my eyes. "It's not that easy. I just got out of a relationship and it will look bad if I jump into another one."

Since I've gotten the closure from Jonathan, I felt more like myself again. Thanks to Micah for always being by my side.

There it goes again.

The thought of him creeping back into my mind. My heart started to struggle as I thought about our kiss. The temptation of his touch on my cheek-

"Who cares? That was a month ago. You like who you like. It's not your fault that you're falling for Micah." She got up from the bed and checked her phone. "Plus, we only have one more month until we graduate. You kind of have to make a decision."

"Am I too old to throw a tantrum?" I started to whine until she hit me with a pillow.

"Yes. Now let's get to school before we're late." She grabs her keys and heads to the door.

I groan loudly and slung my backpack over my shoulder. Today was the last day of our chemistry project. Micah and I finished our presentation and I couldn't wait to get this over with.

I sat in the passenger seat and received a text:

Ryland
Hey, I hope you're having a good day. We haven't talked in a while but I just wanted to let you know that Dad would be very proud of you.

Tears welled up in my eyes as I read his text. I never knew my Dad but Ryland and Meghan helped me get to know him. I wiped the tears from my eyes and replied:

Thank you, Ryland. You need to come visit soon.

I smiled as Harlow accelerated from the driveway and on to the road.