Chapter 29: A School Day

My mom agreed to take my sister this morning since I have to deal with a lot today. Inevitably, I am going to see him at school. The jerk that cheated on me. The idiot that lied.

"I'll go make breakfast." Harlow threw on her usual ensemble with a large sweatshirt and leggings.

Harlow hasn't left my house since Friday. She told me that she wanted to be there for me physically and emotionally or whatever that meant.

I checked my phone for the day. I had the usual text from the crew but I had individual text from Jonathan. I didn't even read the first syllable and deleted the text messages from my phone. I was still hurt from what he did but at the same time I'm not surprised. Once a cheater, always a cheater.

I went to the bathroom and turned the shower on hot. I jumped in and washed my hair. My hair was semi-straighten from Friday night. I love when my hair is straightened but I missed my loose curls.

I diffused my hair and began to wash my face. I didn't want to put on makeup incase I cry today. But that won't happen because I'm a strong independent women that can stand her own. I glued on some lashes to look decent and left the bathroom.

The aroma of grits and eggs filled the air. I couldn't wait to eat. I put on my black ripped jeans and a baby blue sweater to match. I grabbed Harlow's grey cardigan from the dresser and put it on. Harlow leaves clothes at my house all the time. I'm surprised she doesn't even ask for them back.

I grab my stuff and headed downstairs. Harlow sat at the white marble island and started to munch on the food she prepared for us. She cooked grits, eggs, and even bacon to go with it. I sat down as well and started to eat.

"Cute cardigan. Where did you get it from?" She asked as she devours her plate in matter of seconds.

I look at her as if she was joking. "This is yours Harlow." I take our empty plates and put it in the dishwasher.

She squinted her eyes for a second and then came to realization. "Oh! I totally forgot."

I grab my keys and headed for the car. "Let's go, we can't be late."

**

We walked into school with seconds to spare. Harlow and I joined the group. It was awfully quiet after Friday's events. Jonathan was no-where to be found but still left everyone tense.

"Alex, can I talk to you for a second?" Jackson asked. I nod my head in agreement.

We separate apart from the group. Harlow eyed us the whole time to make sure I was okay. I waved her off to give her the sign that I was good and that she didn't have to kill anybody.

"I don't even know where start," He started to scratch behind his head. "My brother was horrible to you. You didn't deserve that. I completely ripped him a new one for his actions," He sighed. "I'm not here to ask you to forgive him. I just don't want you to reflect what he did on to me. I would never do that to Mer." He looked past me to Meredith standing with the group. "I couldn't ever cheat on her, I think I'm in love with that girl." He shook his head. "Wait a minute- I KNOW I love that girl." He looked back to me. "So I just wanted to say I am really sorry for what Jonathan did to you."

Jonathan and Jackson are identical twins, but they were the complete opposite. Jackson doesn't have a filter 9.9 out of 10 times but he treats Meredith like a queen. He's loyal, honest, and trustworthy. Everything his brother wasn't.

"Jackson. You aren't like your brother. It's not your fault your brother acted out on his selfish desires. You guys are two completely different people." I put my hand on his shoulder. "I know you will treat Meredith right. You don't have a choice." I gripped his shoulder harder. "Because if you break her heart like the way your brother did mine, Harlow, Phoenix, and I will have to murder you ourselves." I smiled big. He looked terrified but understood my demand.

We walked back to the group and rejoined them. Jackson went over to Meredith and gave her a big kiss. Meredith was caught off guard but didn't mind it. They were the couple I was rooting for.

The bell was going to ring for first period so I pull Harlow's arm and walked to class together.

**
It was time for lunch. Harlow, Meredith, and Phoenix met up with me at my Chem class and walked to the cafeteria together.

"How are you holding up, Lex?" Phoenix looked at me with empathy.

I shrug as I clutched my lunch bag. "It's whatever, I guess."

"You can't just whatever everything, Alex." Meredith said softly.

I roll my eyes. "It is what it is. Just leave it alone."

We joined the table and everyone was there except Jonathan. It seemed like he wasn't there most of the day, but I'm not complaining.

Micah joined his big group of friends with the addition of Raven's crew.

The cafeteria door opens and a tall figure strolls in. The one and only.

Jonathan Clarke.

My breathing hitched as he walked. It almost felt like I got stabbed but I can't stop it from bleeding. I guess it was my heart. My eyes started to develop tears but I held them at bay.

He scanned the room and landed his eyes on me. He started to walk straight towards me until Micah grabs his arm. He seems to always grab people's arm. He has to stop doing that, or he'll get seriously hurt.

Micah pushed him back and started to raise his voice. They were too far away to hear. Jonathan kept eye contact with me as he muttered something to Micah. Jonathan kept trying to walk to me but Micah pushed him hard backwards.

They seemed to be talking about something but all I could see was Jonathan's face turning frustrated.

Jonathan eyes fueled with anger as his fist lunged back. He punched Micah square in the nose. For sure, I thought Micah would go down and stay but he didn't. He didn't even wince as his nose was 100% broken. He began to throw punches left and right at Jonathan, and he did the same.

I stood up from the table and sprinted over to the full out brawl that was happening. I tried to pull Micah off of Jonathan but he wouldn't budge. Micah began to speak out.

"You-HIT-didn't-HIT-deserve-HIT-her."

Security guards came quick and pulled them off each other. Micah had minimal damage but a bruised nose. Jonathan on the other hand, bruises began to turn black and blue all over his face.

Jonathan finally looked up and mouthed words 'I'm so sorry." The security guard pulled them away and up to the front office.

Harlow came up next to me to make sure I was okay. Tears started to stream down my cheeks. I didn't know why I was crying. I wiped them away quickly as the principal walked up.

She looked around at the crowd that had formed. "Continue eating your lunches, everything is under control." She walked closer to me. "You. In my office. Now." She bellowed. I didn't take her seriously but at this point I felt numb. I didn't care what happened to me. I was mentally checked out.

I take my stuff from the lunch table and walked slowly to the principal's office. The secretary gave me a sympathetic smile as I sat in the burgundy cushioned chair. Micah and Jonathan were no where to be found in the lobby. They were probably in the principal's room getting suspended.

I text my mom the run down while she was at work. I closed my eyes and set my head back on the chair. I should've stayed home.

Don't forget to vote and comment!