Chapter 39: A Promise

Micah's POV
Memories of Alex and I play back in my mind as I attempt to fall asleep. I haven't really been sleeping well. I haven't been able to sleep good since the break up. Missing her took a huge toll on me. I love her. How can I not fall in love with her?

We broke up a few months ago but my broken heart feels like it's a fresh wound. I wasn't trying to remember her smile or whenever she laughs she crinkles her nose, it just all came flooding back to me at once.

Micah, I think you need to go to UCLA and live up to your fullest potential......without me.

How can I be at my fullest potential when she won't be there by my side?

A loud banging on my door interrupts my train of thoughts. It continues for a solid minute and then stops.

I grow agitated as I slowly get off of my bed. What in the hell could someone want in four in the morning? It must be my mom bothering me again.

I turn the door handle and open it. "What do you want, Mo-" I look up and held my eyes with the girl who somehow still stole my breath away.

"Hey Micah." A small smile tugs at her plump lips.

I can barely say anything except: "What do you want?" I haven't seen her since May and all of sudden she pops up out of no where. I've missed her but I won't let her come back to hurt me again.

The smile that she once had drops a little. "I know it's late. I know I made a huge mistake by not giving this a try but-"

"So you came back and thought what? I would come running back to you? Begging you to get back together?" I roll my eyes as I walk away from her. She follows behind me into my room and closes the door. "Do you know how hard it's been trying to get over you?"

"Micah, I-"

"No!" I raise my hand. "Don't say my name like I'm being irrational because I'm not. I loved you, Alexandria." I said in frustration. It's the first time telling her I love her, but I never imagined it to be like this. "Hell, I still love you now. And you just left like it was nothing. Like we didn't mean a damn thing to you." I exasperates.

"Shut up." Alex mutters under her breath.

"What?" I finally look up to her face to see streams of tears strolling down her face.

"I said shut up." She wipes her tears and looks at me with tears still in her eyes. "We meant something to me, Micah. You are everything to me." She slowly shakes her head. "Even when my life was a mess or a disaster, you still had faith in me. You are still my everything even if...." She looks down at her hands. "I'm not yours anymore."

We stand in silence, finding what words to say next. Suddenly, she wipes the remaining tears off her face and speaks. "I'll understand if you don't want to be with me." She shares a small sad smile that still made my heart skip a beat. She turns to open the door. "But just know that I love you, Micah." She turns to me with a even more sad smile. "I think I always will."

"You drive me absolutely insane. You know that, right?" I ask.

Alex scoffs quietly and sniffles. "I know."

Before she could leave I grab her by her arm and pull her closer to me. "Maybe that's why I love you so much, New Girl."

She looks up at me and smiles. "Just maybe?"