Chapter 22, Kate

I made my way up the stairs and into my elevator. I'd missed the way the guards saluted me and the maids bowed their heads.

The mix of respect and fear in their eyes.

I'd spent all morning training, trying to make up for the days I'd missed when I was playing prisoner. To be fair I had killed six people, but it had still thrown off my schedule.

I got to my room and instantly drew my gun.

The entire room was trashed. My clothes were scattered across the floor, my pillows had been ripped up and their remains scattered everywhere, and several shoes were lying on the floor thoroughly mutilated.

The whole place looked like the bloodless version of a crime scene. Whoever did this was going to pay with their life, nobody disrespected me like this.

I called to the men who'd been guarding the door in and their eyes widened when they saw the carnage. So they hadn't been involved. I signaled to them to follow me.

We silently edged through the rooms and as soon as we reached the bedroom and I instantly relaxed. The puppy I'd saved was lying on the bed chewing on the handle of one of my knives.

I walked over and scooped him up. He energetically licked my cheek and his tail wagged so fast it blurred. I'd never considered myself a dog person until I'd found him. He'd been a little ball of energy this morning and I'd decided I'd keep him.

I turned to my men.

"One of you go down to six and find the head of the K9 department," I ordered, "tell him I have a challenge I think he'll enjoy."

"Yes ma'am."

The men saluted and exited. The puppy wiggled in my arms. Then I thought of his name. Chaos. If he'd caused all of this trouble in three hours it would fit him.

"What do you think Chaos, want to grab some food?"

The puppy licked my nose and I carried him into the dining room. I pushed the buttons for bacon and eggs and kibble and a minute later we were enjoying our food.

Once I'd finished I left Chaos with the trainer with a warning to make it fun for the puppy or I'd make him wish he'd never been born.

I was going to pay Xander a visit.

I couldn't believe I'd kissed him, that he'd saved my life. I couldn't believe he'd gotten captured so easily. I hoped he'd make this easy so he could die with a little dignity.

I descended into the basement prisons and after I'd yelled at the guard for playing cards on duty I found Xander's name on the prisoner list. A minute later I'd gotten to his cell.

The screen by the door said: Alexander Silver, Status: Unbroken, Scheduled for transport to Manhattan on 7/9/20

I scanned my thumb on the door and entered the small cell. Xander sat against the wall staring into nothingness. He barely glanced at me as I walked in and closed the door behind me.

Eventually, he glanced up at me. The look in his eyes was of weak defiance. He knew he was beaten but was too stubborn to let it show.

"What are you doing here Devil?" he snapped. He sounded nothing like the charismatic leader I'd met earlier.

"It's my base, I can go where I want." I leaned casually against the wall.

I honestly didn't know what I was doing here.

"But why did you decide to visit this part of 'your base', I'm sure the rest of it is much nicer."

That was true.

"I was just wondering if you'd want to make both of our lives easier and tell us where the Silver Order base is."

"I'd rather die," he stated matter of factly.

"Fine, be that way."

He would have to die at some point. I couldn't save him.

"You knew I wasn't going to tell you, why are you really here?"

"Fine, you saved my life. Why?"

I hadn't planned on asking him that.

"The plan, your father wouldn't pay for you if you were dead."

"Ok, then why'd you kiss me?"

That had been eating me up, why had one of my mortal enemies kissed me?

"You kissed me."

"We kissed each other. I just want to know why you participated."

"I guess I got caught up in the moment."

"Me too. Except I didn't because it didn't happen."

It couldn't have happened.

"It didn't."

I got up and walked over to the door. Xander looked so tired. I almost felt sorry for him. I was going to put him through so much pain.

Xander had never hurt me. He'd even saved my life. And I didn't think it was for his stupid plan. Why couldn't he have stayed hidden in his base?

Then I remembered something. Not much but something.

"It's Kate by the way," I told him, "You asked me what my real name was that first time we talked, it's Kate Ballard."

"It fits you."

I turned and walked out the door.

I was missing one of my throwing knives.

Hopefully, he'd be smart and take his own life before we got to Manhattan.

***

Hello humans! What do you think of Chaos? Will Xander ever reveal the location of the Silver Order base? Will Kate and Xander end up together or will the kiss never have happened? Please vote and comment, I want to know what you think!

-Jade

Ps. Thank you to oliviaprodesign on Fivver for the awesome cover!