Chapter 41, Xander

Surprisingly nobody else had tried to shoot me. I'd gotten lucky with Kristin's bad aim and the vial of MC-57 Dr. Gracie had gotten me. But that didn't change the fact that Kristin had tried to kill me.

Maybe I deserved it. I was making a deal with the people our organization was dedicated to stopping. But I was doing it to save 25 million innocents.

And most of the Order seemed to be taking it pretty well. Some of them had even said they agreed with me during breakfast. Of course, the ones who disagreed could just be avoiding me.

"Earth to Xander, we're here."

I suddenly realized I was driving and that we'd arrived at the Hideout. I parked the car out front and the three of us got out. I'd brought Daniel and Leo along for support.

The Hideout was the perfect meeting place because there was no way in hell I was letting Kate anywhere near our base. And I didn't love the idea of spending the rest of my life in a Legion prison cell.

I walked through the front door and remembered exactly why I'd fucked up my life by kissing Kate. She was beautiful.

Behind her was a man I assumed was her brother. He looked exactly like Kate but was too young to be her father. Anyway, Death never showed his face in public, he always wore a mask.

Would Death ever show up?

"Silver, you made it." Kate greeted me.

Silver? Right, we had to pretend to hate each other.

"Devil. Do you really think I'd miss this?" I replied, being sure not to use her real name.

"I don't think you'd dare. Silver this is Lia; she's one of my best assassins. And this is my brother Derek. And you know Izzie of course." Kate said gesturing to two girls in the back.

Izzie's here? She's alive!

"Of course, you kidnapped her from us, remember? This is Daniel, my best strategist. And you know Leo." I said.

"A strategist and a sniper. You came prepared."

"Yes, how dare I bring a strategist to a strategy meeting," I said sarcastically.

"Bold of you to assume you have a say in anything. Let me remind you we're the ones with the army." She momentarily crushed my soul.

"Yes and we're the ones with the spies, that's kind of why this alliance works," I said, bringing my soul back to life.

"Ceasefire."

Then Izzie and another girl walked back into the room and I fully registered that Izzie was here. She looked unharmed, happy even.

Izzie saw me and suddenly my ex-girlfriend had full-on tackled me. I guess we were over the breakup. The whole kidnapping and separation thing had kind of cut off the mourning period.

"We'll get you out I promise," I whispered in her ear.

"You don't have too. I'm staying, I'll be your eyes on the inside."

Izzie pulled away and went to hug Leo. I decided 'eyes on the inside' would be a good thing. And Izzie could definitely handle herself.

I noticed Kate had turned away and took that as my cue to talk to Izzie. Then the purple-haired girl Kate had introduced as Lia walked over.

"Guys this is Lia, umm were dating now."

What the fuck did I miss during the past week?

"Isn't she a little...female for you Iz." Leo asked bluntly, "Not that there's anything wrong with liking other chicks."