Chapter 54, Izzie

Two days.

Two days locked in a godforsaken prison cell not knowing whether or not my best friend was alive. Having been betrayed by a woman I'd thought I'd been in love with

Not knowing if my family had been reduced to bloody mist.

Surprisingly banging my head against a wall didn't magically open the cell door. In fact, it worsened my injuries from my attempt at saving Xander.

Nobody had bothered to bring me MC-57. I doubted anyone cared whether I lived or died. Or if they did it was to use me as leverage.

Of course, I wasn't any use as leverage if everyone who loved me was dead.

So maybe my being alive meant my family was too. Maybe Xander hadn't given up the location. Of course, that meant he'd be dead.

I'd stopped crying yesterday. It wasn't worth the energy.

Then I heard the cell door buzz and it started to slide open. I hastily grabbed a fork from my uneaten tray of green beans and rice.

If it were Dawn I'd kill her on the spot. If it were Lia I'd ask her why before I stabbed her in the throat with a fork.

But it wasn't either of them. Instead, a boy a little older than myself was blocking the route to freedom. A boy holding a gun.

I dropped my fork since gun vs fork combat usually didn't end well for whoever had the fork.

He seemed familiar but that wasn't out of the ordinary here. I'd recognized several people who'd tried to kill me before.

And this boy was probably going to kill me.

"Isobel Green? Come with me." The boy said with the calmness of someone in charge.

"Who are you and where are we going?" I asked as I followed him out of the cell.

"Scott Fowler and you'll see when we get there. I don't want to have to chase you if you try to run."

I should have been afraid. Instead, I felt insulted. Here he was treating me like he had power over me. Like he could catch me.

And I had nothing left to lose.

I grabbed Scott's gun arm and pulled the weapon behind my head so he couldn't hit me if he fired. But before I could get the gun he'd kneed me in the stomach and I fell.

Ignoring the pain I stood and faced Scott. His dark eyes seemed amused. The gun was pointed at my head.

"Go ahead, shoot me now." I dared him.

Scott glanced over at two guards stationed at the end of the hallway. One of them smirked at Scott and he rolled his eyes. Then he made a decision, aimed the gun at my shoulder, and pulled the trigger.

If only I hadn't taken out the magazine.

I laughed at the look of shock on his face when the gun didn't fire. Leo had taught me that trick when we were teenagers.

"And that's why you don't carry an easy load gun," I said.

"I'll keep that in mind next time. Are you going to try to run?" He asked.

I started walking. I had zero chance of escape. And I didn't particularly want to die here anymore.

"No, I just don't like loaded guns pointed at my head. Now, where are you taking me?" I said as I slipped one of three knives out of his belt.

"Conference room. Can I have my knife back?"

"Absolutely not." I laughed; it felt good to laugh after so much misery.