v. the neglect of a father

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐃

❀ 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘧𝘪𝘷𝘦: 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘯𝘦𝘨𝘭𝘦𝘤𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘢 𝘧𝘢𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

𝐤𝐚𝐲𝐚 𝐬𝐚𝐥𝐯𝐚𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐞

     DAYS BLUR INTO WEEKS, into months and, before any of them know it, Kaya's twentieth birthday is mere weeks away; the day that she is going to end up dead by Maria's request, but at Jasper's hand. Since that stolen, feverish kiss almost a year ago, more moments like that have occurred in the darkness of the night when they've been out on the hunt for food, or for more possible candidates for Maria's army. Maria herself is none the wiser about what has been happening between Jasper and Kaya, and they desperately want to keep it that way.

     The female vampire has also made Kaya Jasper's partner in training the newborns. That in itself is making her wonder if Maria is planning on sparing Kaya's life, but she has decided that she is not going to put any hope into it. However, Jasper has been unusually talkative and close with Kaya as of late instead of distancing himself like she originally expected, and that is causing the beginnings of hope to blossom within her. Despite that, Kaya fights it and makes sure that she is well prepared in the instance that Maria does order Jasper to kill her.

     Two weeks pass and the training becomes more vicious as more newborns join their ranks, more humans surviving the bite and becoming a creature of the dark. Now, Kaya arms are littered with silvery scars that match Jasper's, and she finds herself wondering if she would still be alive right now if she were still human. Those thoughts lead on to that of her daughter, and Kaya feels a wave of pain wash over her at the mere thought of her child. It has been almost a year since Kaya left, and she would be turning three very soon. Kaya has barely thought of her in the past months, and it makes her feel like a worse mother than she did the night she left.

     Sitting outside only days before her year is up, Kaya is too caught up in the wonder of the starry night that she misses Jasper walking out until he is sitting beside her. "Damn! Jasper, you scared me!"

     The honey blond grins at her, amusement twinkling in his blood red eyes. "Sorry, ma'am. I meant no harm."

     "It's alright. It's not your fault. I was too caught up in memorising the stars."

     "You're sad. What's wrong, darlin'?"

     "My daughter turned three last week. I missed her birthday again."