xxvi. getting back to "normal"

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐃

❀ 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘺-𝘴𝘪𝘹: 𝘨𝘦𝘵𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘣𝘢𝘤𝘬 𝘵𝘰 "𝘯𝘰𝘳𝘮𝘢𝘭"

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

𝐤𝐚𝐲𝐚 𝐬𝐚𝐥𝐯𝐚𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐞

     IT'S BEEN A WEEK since everything happened, and the Olympic Coven and Kaya are getting back to whatever "normal" is for blood-sucking creatures. Kathleen hasn't left Alice's side since they came back from Phoenix — they even went shopping for prom dresses together, mind you. Apparently Esme thought it'd be a good idea for the younger vampires all to go to prom to get their minds off things, much to Kaya's obvious disgust. Not to mention, Rosalie somehow manages to drag Kaya away from the Cullen household to go to get a dress that would, quote, "sweep my brother off his feet and leave him breathless."

     Quite honestly, Kaya loves the dress they picked out: a classic Civil War dress that will definitely make Jasper speechless. As many horrific memories they both have of those days, there were days and nights where the vampires lived their lives for what they were worth — spending nights dancing amidst humans and other vampire covens where there was no fighting, or just enjoying walking through the streets of cities under the cover of patterned parasols.

     Kaya falls back onto the couch, her head landing on Jasper's lap as he continues to read the book in his pale, scar covered hands. She pokes his stomach repeatedly, smiling as he begins to lose focus in his book and sigh in fake irritation, closing his book and placing it on the table. His golden eyes stare down at his Mate with amusement as she pokes out her tongue and grins up at him, sliding her hand up his torso and placing her hand on the back of his neck.

     Pulling him down, Kaya raises up off the couch slightly and their lips meet in a soft, sweet kiss. For once in their long lives, nothing is rushed, and they have all the time in the world to give their love and affection to each other.

     Breaking apart a moment later, his hand cups Kaya's face gently as he smiles lovingly down at her. "I don't know if I've ever told you, but I love you, darlin'."

     "I love you too, Major Whitlock."

     Rosalie makes an 'aww' sound from where she stands in the doorway, and Kaya looks over at her with amusement as Emmett walks up behind her and places his arms around her waist. "You two are so cute, and I do believe this was the first time I've ever heard you say you love each other."

     "It probably was, babe," Emmett chuckles, making his blonde Mate's eyes widen. "So, come on, leave the lovebirds alone."

     Jasper covers his eyes in exasperation and sighs as their friends leave the room, the blonde worrying about how she "messed it all up for them." Kaya can't help the carefree laughter that bubbles free from her lips at both Jasper mumbling under his breath and Rosalie panicking about what she just did. In this moment, nothing could be more perfect, being in the arms of the one she has loved for over a century, and that's something she loves.

     Reaching up, Kaya runs her fingers along his arm, feeling the dips and rises of the scars decorating his pale skin. Uncovering his golden eyes, he looks down at Kaya with a soft expression, his hand on her face moves slightly, brushing her brunette hair out of her eyes and tucking it behind her ear. Just laying there makes Kaya feel more alive and human than Kaya has done in over a century.

     Of course, as all "parent moments" are, theirs is broken by Kathleen running into the room and plopping down onto the other couch, her gold-orange eyes glimmering with delight and life as she looks over to her parents. A soft smile crosses Jasper's face as he looks over to his own flesh and blood, and he holds out his hand, the younger vampire taking hold of it happily. Reaching out, she takes hold of her mother's hand as Jasper and Kaya do the same with their free hands.

     They're all connected in more ways than one right now.

     Kathleen can feel her parents' emotions, and Kaya can feel theirs alongside Jasper. Their hands are touching, making it a physical connection paired with the emotional one their "gifts" allow them to have. Closing her eyes, Kaya lets herself fall, siphoning Alice's ability of subjective precognition and seeing their future as best they can.

     Whilst there's still the darkness and uncertainty of Bella and Edward looming over them, and that of Kathleen and Alice's other Mate, their futures look brighter than they have in a while. Kaya's eyes don't change from their ruby red, but Kathleen's become fully gold — something that their Coven will have something to say about when they find out soon enough.

     "Stop worrying, mother," Kathleen murmurs, Kaya's eyes opening and staring over at her daughter. "They will respect my decision no matter what I choose. I know this because I saw into Aro's mind when he looked into mine."

     "Your ability is something to behold, Leena," Jasper muses, honey blond head cocked to the side. "A mix of siphoning and pathokinesis, but can only be used through direct contact with an individual."

     Kaya takes her hands back and sits up, herback facing the two most important people in her life. "It will be sought after by many vampires — just as mine is to this day. We've spent too long apart from the Volturi, and their protection is beginning to weaken. Once it's gone, we will be hunted, Kathleen."

     "Stop it, darlin'." Arms encase Kaya's middle and pull her back against a marble chest, a chin coming to rest on her shoulder. "There's no need for you to worry about being hunted, especially since you're a part of this family now, and we would never let anything happen to you — or our daughter. Alice can see them coming from a mile away, and Edward can read their minds. You're safe here, Kaya."

     "I'm just so scared, Jazz. I saw into Victoria's mind, and she's just the same as Maria: vindictive and manipulative and cruel. She will stop at nothing to have her revenge on you, Emmett, and Edward; she will kill whoever she needs to."

     "We're stronger than we look, darlin'."