xiii. time flies when you're having fun

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐃

❀ 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘳𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯: 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦 𝘧𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘴 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘧𝘶𝘯

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

𝐤𝐚𝐲𝐚 𝐬𝐚𝐥𝐯𝐚𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐞

     TWO DECADES HAVE PASSED, and Kathleen has reached full maturity. She began asking where her father is ten years ago — when she had the body of a fifteen-year-old, but the mind of a twenty-year-old somehow — and Kaya told her the truth. Kathleen now knows that Kaya is one hundred and four-years-old, and that her father is one hundred and six, and that he left to go to the north in order to escape the savagery of the coven both Jasper and Kaya were both created to be in.

     Currently, Kathleen is with Jane and Alec — who have become like her siblings — and is attempting to see what she can do with her ability. What the Volturi do know is that she can absorb another vampire's ability — just like Kaya can — but she cannot take any more than that, and that she has slight pathokinetic tendencies. Kaya supposes there is no way that Kathleen would be able to have the exact same ability as herself and Jasper, but Kaya was hoping that she'd have similar abilities so Kaya can help her control them. 

     Luckily, she does.

     Her daughter stopped ageing when her body turned nineteen, but her mind has continued to age. Due to that, Aro, Marcus, and Caius have decided that it's time Kathleen and Kaya return to the outside world instead of being cooped up in Volterra. The female vampires are free spirits at heart and mind and soul, and cannot be caged or controlled; they must be allowed to roam where they desire and be unbridled by anyone. Whilst they can still have a mate, Kathleen and Kaya will not be able to stay stationary in a coven with them.

     That's why they are both standing before the Guard and the three Elder vampires of the Volturi. Kathleen is almost quaking in her shoes as she has never been around three dozen members of the Volturi all together, and Kaya is tense with nervousness and apprehension. While they may be being allowed to venture out into the world, there is going to be a catch, and it is that catch Kaya is afraid of.

     Aro simply stands and walks towards the females, his hand tailored black suit as impeccable as always. "Kaya, Kathleen, you are both being set free. Why do you not smile?"

     As her daughter freezes, Kaya steps forward. "While we may be delighted, Aro, we are hesitant to accept this. The outside world has changed drastically over the past two decades, and it will be dangerous compared to the world I once lived in. My daughter, on the other hand, has never been outside these walls — or even felt the sun on her skin. She is afraid."

     "I understand your worries, Miss Salvatore, but let me assure you that your old home has not changed as much as you believe. Although the years have passed, America remains poverty stricken and controlled by mindless, meddling men."

     "What of our kind?"

     "There was a time when the humans hunted us, and we retreated into the shadows and prospered. We blend into society and live as the humans live," Marcus assures, causing Kathleen and Kaya to look at the eldest — in human years — of the three Volturi leaders. "That is our way, and it has been for almost half a century now."

     Without care, Kaya walks up to Marcus and takes his hand. "Please. Can you tell me if...?"

     "Your mate lives on, Miss Salvatore. I can assure you."

     Behind me, Kathleen smiles and her body sags in relief, but all that Kaya can feel is anxiety. It's been almost thirty years since she has seen Jasper, and she is not certain that he remembers her amidst the carnage and wrath of the nineteenth century. As Kaya releases Marcus' hand, she returns to her original stance beside her daughter, head filled with thoughts of the honey blond, red-eyed man Kaya is still in love with after all this time.

     Beside her, Kathleen squeezes Kaya's hand, and the older vampire knows that she can feel her mother's turbulent emotions right now. To be quite honest, Kaya misses being able to feel another's emotions ever since Jasper left, but she has been hesitant to attempt siphoning her daughter's ability to do so. As memories and thoughts of the honey blond pathokinetic vampire continue to wash over Kaya, Aro lays the rules of their release into the outside world: they are to be scouts and relay information to a member of the Guard who will meet them once a month no matter where they are.

     Neither Kaya nor Kathleen bother to ask how the Guard will know where they are, or who the member of the Guard will be. The second Kaya's eyes flash to Demetri, he smiles in an almost unnoticeable way and then returns to a stoic expression. In front of her, Aro smiles knowingly. He would only send a trusted member to America — and it had to be someone that both the Volturi trust, and that Kaya herself and Kathleen can trust.

     One last time, Aro takes Kaya's hand in both of his and smiles as he moves through every thought she has ever had. "Still exquisite, Miss Salvatore. I wonder if your daughter is as impressive."

     Kathleen almost flinches as Aro's hands encompass one of hers, but she holds her ground and looks over at her mother. Kaya motions for her to look back at the older vampire. She does so and her red eyes meet his, both pairs widening at what is found within the depths of her subconscious. Kathleen has never had her mind read by Aro before. However, she has had her relationships identified by Marcus, been induced with illusory pain and had her senses robbed by Jane and Alec, fought against the physical shield Renata, and hunted the invisible Afton with the tracker Demetri.

     She's gone up against a lot, but never Aro's mind reading ability.

     Soon the dark haired vampire releases her and steps back. "Marvellous. She is almost as impressive as you, my dear Kaya. I do wonder what her father's mind is like..."

     Instantly, Kaya tenses. "Unfortunately, I'm not sure if you will ever know, Aro."

     "I am aware. Now, you may leave." He returns to the podium and faces as he sits down. "There is a car waiting outside for you with two bags of your belongings each in it. It will take you to the airport, and then you will travel to America. You will be free to roam the continent as you please, but, do not draw unnecessary attention to yourselves. That is all I ask."

     "Of course, Aro."