xxix. the imprinting

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐃

❀ 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘺-𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘦: 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘪𝘮𝘱𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

𝐤𝐚𝐲𝐚 𝐬𝐚𝐥𝐯𝐚𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐞

     UNEASE FILLS THE AIR, and Kaya can feel the distrust and disgust coming from the wolves around her. However, unlike the others, Jared, the Beta, remains neutral to the female vampire's presence. Shifting her gaze to him, Kaya gives him a weak smile in response to the quirk of his lips, but clears her throat and turns back to Billy and Sam a moment later, unable to prevent her gaze from flicking to the quiet boy slightly behind them.

     "So, this is the wolf?" Kaya dares to ask, shifting in her seat.

     Billy nods, expression grim. "Embry phased today, and, from what you have told us, your daughter, Kathleen, began to feel the pain from having lost Jeremy. Is that right?"

     "Yes. Why do you look so unhappy about it, Billy? This is something that has been prophesied for generations."

     "We know," Sam interrupts, but his deep voice holds an undertone that makes Kaya give him a sharp look. "This time is different though."

     "What are you saying, Uley? That this wolf is different from Jeremy?"

     "Very, and he has a different fate in store for him if he Imprints on Kathleen."

     The different prophecies of the Quileutes flicker through Kaya's mind until one catches her attention, her ruby eyes widening in disbelief and horror for the boy. "It's the second tri-Imprint, and that means he's going to... I am so sorry. I didn't mean for any of this to happen. If I had of known what was to come when I siphoned from that woman..."

     Jared pulls the vampire into a hug as she breaks down, crying out her regret and misery for this moment. At their Beta's movement, the pack's emotions shift to ones of confusion and sympathy, knowing that, through the pack bond they share, Jared wouldn't do this to just any old vampire. Even Sam and Billy want to comfort Kaya in this moment, and it makes her realise how much of a strong bond there is.

     Back when Kathleen and Kaya first came to this town, they bonded with the Quileute Pack from back then. It consisted of most of these currents member's parents or relatives. They told stories to their children of the two red-eyed Cold Ones that brought love and family to the Pack, and brought in an Imprint for one of the members; for Jeremy, the Beta. Those stories made the children come to like those Cold Ones, and come to understand some of what they held dear.

     Kathleen and Kaya are close to Jared's family due to Jeremy being a relative, and that meant the bond forged there was stronger than with the other members and families in the Pack. Also, sometimes over the decades L+Kaya would leave the Volturi to return here to Forks, and get to know the newer generations of the Quileutes. That kept her bond with this Pack strong, and kept her in the loop with what was going on in this part of the world.

     Wiping her tears away, Kaya smiles at Jared. "Thanks, Jared. I'm good now."

     The Beta grins down at her. "Anytime, Kaya."

     "Miss Salvatore," Billy says, drawing the vampire's attention. "We do not blame you for having a child, or for allowing these prophecies to come true. If you had not have siphoned from that woman and given birth to Kathleen, you would have had no reason to return here after your initial visit decades ago, and we would not be friends."

     Sam nods in agreement.

     Kaya stares at them with wide-eyed wonder. "You see me, a vampire, as your friend?"

     "Of course we do," Jared crows happily, making the pack murmur their agreements despite their former distrust and disgust of the red-eyed beast.

     "Okay, um, well, that's a surprise." Kaya shakes her head. "Anyway, should I call Kathleen and Alice here? So we can see if this prophecy is about them and Embry?"

     "That would be a good idea," Sam agrees.

     Once Kathleen and Alice agree to meet Sam and Paul at the Treaty Line, it's only a matter of minutes before they're standing in front of Jared and Kaya. Embry is still sitting against the wall of Billy's house, leg bouncing up and down rapidly as he attempts to get his mind around this situation. Walking over to him, Kaya crouches down and gently takes one of his hands in hers, making his brown eyes dart up to the vampire.

     Kaya gives him a small smile. "Go talk to them, okay? Whichever way this goes, you will always be a part of this pack, and a part of my family. Alright?"

     The freshly phased wolf gives Kaya a smile and nods, standing a moment later and helping her get to her feet. She watches as he walks over to her daughter and her Mate's adopted sister, and a smile crosses Kaya's face. This is the moment they are all waiting for, and none of them are entirely sure as to what the outcome is going to be. Jared comes to stand by Kaya's side and slings his arm around her shoulders, a shit-eating grin on his face at seeing Embry being so shy for once in his life.

     The dark haired male is clad in almost knee length jean shorts and a faded blue-grey t-shirt, nothing too fancy. To be fair, he is quite tall — maybe an inch taller than Jasper — and slender with light russet skin, long rounded muscles, cropped black hair, and brown eyes. He stops a few metres from the girls and finally looks up, his brown eyes instantly looking over at Kathleen and Alice.

     Kaya's ruby eyes watch with muted delight as Embry meets Kathleen's eyes, his entire body going rigid. At that, she feels her stomach drop, but also pure happiness churn within her. Only moments later he turns boneless and falls to his knees, Kathleen and Alice darting forward to catch him, all three of them ending up kneeling on the muddy ground. Looking over at Sam, his dark eyes are burning with emotion, and it's too much of a mess for Kaya to attempt to figure it out. However, the corner of his lips are quirked up into a sad smile, and that tells me all she need to know.

     "I hate that I was the cause of this, Jared," Kaya murmurs, making the Beta look down at her. "But I can't help feeling happy for them."

     "It's what life made for them," Jared says, shrugging. "As Billy said, we wouldn't have known you if Kathleen hadn't of been born, and I don't think Embry would have had an Imprint either."

◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ 

Yes, I made Embry a werewolf before 'New Moon.' Sue me, bitches. I needed a wolf, and since I'm planning a Paul Lahote story, I didn't really want it to be him. Also, you'll see later on why I have chosen to use Embry.