xxiii. second newest vegetarian

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐃

❀ 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘺-𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘦𝘦: 𝘴𝘦𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘦𝘸𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘷𝘦𝘨𝘦𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘪𝘢𝘯

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

𝐤𝐚𝐲𝐚 𝐬𝐚𝐥𝐯𝐚𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐞

     SITTING OUTSIDE WITH JASPER, Kathleen, and Alice, Kaya can hear when Bella and Edward pull up in front of the house, their voices echoing in her ears as they talk about how the house doesn't look like some book version of of vampire's dwelling. Rolling her eyes, Kaya leans against Jasper's front, her head falling back to rest on his shoulder as his right arm is loosely wrapped around her waist, their left hands entwined. In front of Kaya, Kathleen giggles as Alice presses affectionate kisses to her pale throat, making a soft smile spread across Kaya's lips.

     Her hearing tunes into the cooking program on the television briefly before turning to the conversation between Carlisle and Esme in the kitchen, Kaya's smile growing at how in sync they are. Rosalie rests on the fringe of the older vampire's hearing, and Kaya can feel her distaste wafting through the air; a complete contrast to the excitement of Emmett standing nearby. The aura of the room changes as Bella and Edward walk in, the human girl wary of the vampires.

     Everything starts out nice and calm, but both Jasper and Kaya can feel the rising tension within Rosalie due to the presence of Bella. Standing, the four vampires make their way to the large window leading into the kitchen, and it sounds as though they make it just in time — not even a minute after the blonde vampire shatters one of Esme's crystal bowls and another, more dark, conversation begins.

     "Hi, Bella! I'm Alice," the pixie-like vampire greets, stepping in off a branch, her hand linked with Kathleen's. Letting go when Kaya's daughter draws to a stop, Alice continues forward and gives Bella a hug, as well as receiving a small "hi" from the human. "Oh, you do smell good."

     Edward gives his adopted sister a bewildered look. "Alice, what are you...?"

     "It's okay. Bella and I are going to be great friends."

     As Alice backs away, Kaya steps down onto the marble floor, Jasper following not a moment later, and they walk over to their daughter, Kaya's hand brushing against Kathleen's hand and giving it a brief squeeze before letting her be. Alice moves to link her arm with Kathleen's, and Kaya stands slightly in front of Jasper, allowing him to have his arm around her and his scarred hand to rest on her right hip.

     Bella's eyes flicker to Kathleen and Jasper, making everyone pay close attention to them — as well as Kaya, the female vampire's ruby red eyes giving her trouble for the first time in a while. She rolls her eyes and flips them off, earning a silent snicker from Emmett, who then gets a small whack from Rosalie, who is struggling to keep in her own sounds of amusement. Alice and Kathleen glance over at Kaya, but soon return their gazes to Edward and Bella, the former having amusement glittering in her gold eyes, and the latter trying not to grin. Beside Kaya, Jasper almost imperceptibly rolls his eyes as his Mate grins up at him.

     "Sorry," Carlisle apologises, a warm smile on his face and in his golden eyes. "Jasper's our newest vegetarian. It's a little difficult for him."

     "Second newest," Kaya reiterates with a half-forced grin, her eyes darting to Kathleen's orange ones, making her daughter smile slightly, but mainly look away from her mother's berating gaze. "Kathleen here is becoming a "vegetarian" as well."

     "It's a pleasure to meet you," Jasper greets formally, his grip on Kaya's waist hardening and making her place her hand on his, comforting him.

     "It's okay, Jasper," Alice assures him. "You won't hurt her."

     Kathleen nods her head in agreement. "Neither of us will hurt her."

     Kaya snorts, pulling away from her Mate and stepping up to Bella, red eyes burning. "I see that neither of you are worried about little old me killing her — especially after what happened the other week." Her lips quirk into a smirk. "She does look rather tasty..."

     Edward gives me an incredulous look before luring Bella away. "Alright... I'm gonna take you on a tour of the rest of the house."

     "I'll see you soon," Alice calls, making Bella smile at her and murmur an "okay" in response.

     Once they're gone, Esme and Carlisle let out small sighs of relief as Kaya turns and walks away, her mind spinning and her stomach churning, begging for blood. Running into the wall of the lounge room, Kaya clutches at her stomach and growls lowly, ruby eyes fading to black, and she forces them shut. No longer inhaling unneeded air to keep up her more human charade, Kaya can't smell the tantalising, alluring scent of the human's blood.

     Looking up, Kaya's feet fly across the floor as she runs towards the open window, launching herself off and landing on the ground, rolling and ending with one knee on the ground. Dark eyes trained on the forest, Kaya runs through the trees, past the border line and further south, away from the smell of her life force. Reaching a small town, Kaya skids to a stop, body shaking and everything in her begging for blood. Unable to resist the pull, Kaya's mind goes dark as she feeds.

     Throwing the middle-aged man's body to the ground, it falls like a sack of flower and makes a sort of squelching sound as it hits the dirt. Sensing someone behind her, Kaya looks over her shoulder to see the Cullen patriarch watching her with understanding eyes. She can't help the scoff that comes from her throat as she turns to face the older vampire, crossing her arms over her chest, not bothering to clean the blood from her face as she stares at him with blood red eyes.

     "Don't play that card with me, Carlisle," Kaya snaps. "You never struggled with the lust for human blood. Don't forget I've been inside your head, old man."

     The blond man shakes his head. "You misunderstand my understanding, Miss Salvatore. I've seen my family struggle with the bloodlust, and I have helped them through it."

     "I will not become one of your vegetarians, Carlisle."

     "Very well. Then would you consider coming to work at the hospital with me? You told me of your qualifications, and your desire to become a doctor so you would not have to do this."

     Tilting her head, Kaya assesses the older vampire. "What exactly are you asking me to do, Carlisle? Steal from the hospital? From the people who need the blood?"

     The blond man smiles warmly. "Kaya, you are one of the people who need the blood."