xv. the scent of love

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐃

❀ 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘧𝘪𝘧𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯: 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘤𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

𝐤𝐚𝐲𝐚 𝐬𝐚𝐥𝐯𝐚𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐞

     IT'S BEEN A MONTH, meaning that Kaya and Kathleen have met with Demetri four times, but they've had nothing of interest to the Volturi for the past three. The first time, they informed him of the vampires that were wandering around the southern states killing individuals of darker skin, and as well as some instances where the darker skinned individuals had been turned and forced into doing horrendous deeds to the humans in order to survive the cruelty of their makers.

     Since then, rumours amongst both humans and vampires is that people in dark cloaks have been spotted around the southern states, and individuals have been disappearing without a trace. Demetri informed the female vampires by letter that a handful of those vampires have joined the Guard due to having unusual abilities that would be of use — as well as one that has a similar ability to Kathleen and Kaya. She is unable to use the abilities she takes, but she is able to pass them onto a another vampire.

     Her name is Mele, and Aro has deemed that her ability — the ability of power transferal — will be of great use to the Volturi. In the black haired vampire's words, she "will be able to transform the Volturi. However, do not panic, my dear Kaya, she will not take your and your daughter's places in the Guard. She will be able to transfer abilities from those who die into those who still live after battles". Kaya is still relieved that Kathleen and herself will be in the Guard and not disposed of like the others.

     Right now, they're heading up north. North west to be more exact. There's a state — Washington — that has near constant cloud cover and rain, and it's a perfect place to spend what little time Kathleen and Kaya have been given by Aro, Caius, and Marcus. They're almost at the small town of Forks that is rumoured to have a small coven of vampires there who have stumbled across a pack of werewolves of all creatures, and it's safe to say that the entirety of the Volturi, Kaya and Kathleen included, are intrigued by this concept. 

     Entering the small town, Kaya's feet stop moving of their own accord as her nose stings with a familiar scent. It's been decades since she has smelt it, and it still makes her skin tingle at the mere thought of him being close — but Kaya knows that she can't allow herself to fall back into the thrall she was in before without gaining some insight as to why he left her to die as their former coven fell apart that night. Kathleen instantly rushes back to her mother's side, her red eyes slightly panicked and her breathing halting in the presence of Kaya's unease.

     "What's wrong, mother?" Kathleen asks, her glimmering eyes searching Kaya's. "What is it that you can smell but I cannot?"

     Kaya shakes her head and continues to walk forward, the younger vampire following her. "First of all, you need to stop calling me 'mother' from now on. We're in the presence of humans, and they are not allowed to understand how it is you're my daughter."

     "I understand, mot— Kaya."

     "Secondly, you can smell it; you just don't recognise it because you've never smelt him before."

     "'Him'?" Her eyes widen and she stops in the middle of the street, her hand darting up to cover her mouth. "Is it...?"

     "Yes. It's your father, Kathleen. Now, we need to find the coven he is with — and it must been soon. Demetri is going to be here in three days, and we must inform him of whether or not there are werewolves living here."

     Walking into the lightening streets of Forks, Kathleen and Kaya follow the odour of her father; my lost lover. Cars drive past and they both panic slightly before collecting themselves and continuing as if they were nothing out of the ordinary. In this new world, there are many things that will startle the female vampires at first, but they will gradually get used to — and that includes the desire to run straight to Jasper's side and stay with him.

     As soon as his scent becomes almost unbearable, they stop outside a large house in the town and stare up at it, meeting the golden eyes of a blond haired man. At the sight of the female vampires and their red eyes, the golden-eyed vampire motions with his head for the Volturi aligned pair to come in. At that, they agree and follow him out to the back garden of the spacious house and yard that backs onto the forest. The blond man seats himself and motions for his guests to sit. Kathleen takes his offer hesitantly, but Kaya remains standing as her blood red eyes warily take in the environment.

     "I must ask what your intentions are," the blond begins, drawing the older female's attention. "My family and I maintain this permanent residence, and this area has been designated as ours."

     Tilting her head, Kaya stares down at the blond. "We are a part of the Volturi. Aro has sent us out to gather information on the current state of our species in America."

     His golden eyes widen slightly at her words, as well as her odd, hybridised accent. "You are from America, are you not?"

     "I was once. Texas to be exact."

     "Carlisle," a familiar voice calls, making Kaya freeze — something that the blond patriarch doesn't miss. "Who are you talking to?"

     "It's no one, Jasper," Carlisle informs, shifting in his seat. "Do not worry yourself. They are merely envoys from the Volturi."

     "Very well. Call if you need any assistance."

     Closing her eyes, Kaya feels Kathleen grip her mothers hand as the elder female instinctively siphons Jasper's ability, sharing his pathokinesis and feeling everyone's emotions once again. The rush makes her shudder out a breath and open her eyes once Carlisle's apprehension flows over her. Kaya evenly meets the strangely golden eyes of their host and releases Kathleen's hand, placing her hands behind her back and and standing upright.

     "You know my son?" Carlisle inquires curiously, lacing his fingers together. At the female vampire's annoyed expression, he smiles slightly and relaxes. "I apologise. I am aware that — like my other children — he is not biologically mine, but I have adopted him, so to speak."

     Kaya shakes her head and fights the urge to break in front of this man. "Jasper left our coven to escape the pain and horror of the war he was dragged into. I do not blame him for that, but he could have taken some of us with him so we were not forced to fight for our own survival against our creator."

     "I would like to know your story if you are willing to tell it, Miss...?"

     "Salvatore. Kaya Salvatore."

◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ 

Mele is an actual character from the 'Twilight' universe, but she only exists in the novella Life and Death: Twilight Reimagined.