Chapter Forty-Five: A Blind Rage

The ride had done neither Arthur nor Merlyn any good. Arthur refused to look at Merlyn for he knew one look would be all it would take for him to suddenly crash, his emotions overwhelming him. So, he elected for staying silent, broody and not giving her a single look. Merlyn had not expected anything less.

Brutus and Major were pushed to their limits, making the ride that had originally taken them two days to only take one. The silence had been deadly. Their hatreds for Uther had grown in tandem though Merlyn was much more restrained. She was furious over Uther's actions, couldn't believe the man had used magic, not heeded the warnings and paid the ultimate price yet blamed everyone but himself. However, for the young witch this news was not surprising but that could not be the same for Arthur. The revealing of the truth was harder for him to take.

As soon as they entered the square of the castle, Arthur guided his horse over to two guards, one of them stepped forward and took a hold of Brutus' reins whilst Arthur dismounted. Even in his dismount Merlyn could see his anger. Every little move he made showed it. This quiet anger was something Merlyn had never seen before; it was the silence that showed his anger stewing deep within him leading him to have a look of murderous intent on his face.

Before Merlyn had even brought Major to a stop, Arthur had dismounted, grabbed his sword sheathing it on his belt and was climbing the steps up into the castle. Merlyn forwent shouting after him – she knew she wouldn't get an answer. With a murmured thank you towards the guard who had come from Major, Merlyn dismounted off the horse and gave the beast a few quick strokes and a kiss to the side of his face, her actions apologetic for pushing him so hard.

"Take extra care with them both, they'll need checked over of any injuries. They are most likely on the brink of exhaustion; they were pushed hard" Merlyn said, her words firm and authoritative. "Take it slow and easy. I want them properly looked after." The guards nodded at her orders, Merlyn not even realising she was acting as if she were a royal.

Just beyond the horses someone was watching her, believing that he was seeing a glimpse into the future, one wear Merlyn wore a crown. Her orders had been soft but firm, caring and yet clearly not to be ignored. And unsurprisingly the guards had listened. They understood why Merlyn had given the order and everyone knew who she was, she was Arthur's maidservant.

As the guards led the horses away Merlyn turned around to find Gaius was the one watching her. The sight of her old mentor did not bring its usual happiness. Merlyn was mad at Gaius, upset and confused. He had lied to her. There was no chance in hell that Gaius wasn't aware of the circumstances of Arthur's birth, after all Gaius would have been the physician whom informed the king and queen of Ygraine's barren nature. Yet Gaius had elected to not inform Merlyn of a crucial piece of information.

"Merlyn, I'm relieved to see you're safe. Where's Arthur?" Gaius asked once he was close enough to the young woman, however, Merlyn wore a look of anger on her face. Anger that was directed straight at him – he felt like a child who was about to be scolded by their mother.

"Arthur was born of magic" Merlyn stated strongly, her voice showing her restrained anger. "Wasn't he?" She asked the question though needed no answer. "Uther used magic." The words flew out of her mouth like arrows, whilst her body was held as tight as bow.

"Merlyn ... perhaps we should move somewhere more private" Gaius said as his gaze darted to the various people within the courtyard. They wouldn't hear the conversation unless they wanted to listen in, and people generally wanted gossip. The king would have her head for such words being spoken aloud regardless of how true they were. However, Merlyn couldn't care less whether or not people were listening.

"Why? People should know the truth about what he's done" Merlyn spat back before her more rational brain caused her to storm towards an alcove of the square where no one was around. Gaius followed with a look of guilt upon his face. Merlyn was beginning to question how many secrets Gaius had and how many lies he had been telling. "All those people he's executed, he's as guilty as they are. He sacrificed Arthur's mother! He as good as murdered her!" Her rant was vicious with the words flowing out of her mouth with venom. Merlyn's eyes were bright with anger before she rested her gaze on Gaius. Her whole body froze. Even though Merlyn was usually the one under a disappointed gaze, this time the roles were reversed. Gaius dropped his gaze as he felt Merlyn's disappointment. "How could you not tell me?"