15 - At his mercy

"I love you, Rena."

My breath hitched. I shook my head.

"No! Don't say that! You said-"

"I did that for you! Why can't you let me do what I think is the best for you?!"

"What if I don't want you to?! Why are you so hell bent on leaving me?! What is the problem?!"

His chest heaved up and down as he was panting from yelling and stressing over the matter. He brushed his hair frustratedly and looked up at the sky with his hands placed on his waist.

"Just when I try my hardest to leave you be, you do this..."

"Well then, don't."

He looked down at me with his brows furrowed, not understanding why I said something so... unexpected.

"Whatever reason you have... if it's for me, I don't want you to do that," I said as I took his hands in mine, my eyes desperately searching his, hoping that he sees where my heart lies. "I want you to be with me."

I brought one of his hands up and placed it against my chest.

"My heart yearns for you," I whispered in a shaky voice, gulping back my sobs. "If you really do love me, show me your love instead of running away..."

"Please..."

He took a deep breath while looking down at the ground. He seemed to be thinking about what he was supposed to do.

"Mommy! That girl is crying," a little girl exclaimed, pointing her finger at me.

I jumped at that and quickly rubbed my eyes, facing down.

So embarrassing...

Crying in public like this... I must be going crazy.

Taehyung suddenly pulled me into a hug again and covered my face with his jacket, hiding me. I was relieved when he did that because when I cried, I looked hideous.

He gently wiped my tears with his thumb and sighed.

"Okay..." he murmured. "I will love you... again... one more time."

My eyes perked up at that. "Y-You mean it?"

"If me leaving you had such a deep effect on you, I can't do that to you again... It's my fault that I came into your life in the first place after all." He whispered the last bit more to himself.

I sniffled before breaking the hug and pulling myself back to look at him.

"I see..." I wiped my runny nose with my sleeves.

"What now?" He asked, a ghost of a smile on his plump lips.

I cleared my throat. "Don't you have work now?"

"Doesn't matter," he said, shrugging. "You're more important. I can't leave you here looking sad and ugly."

I gawked at him.

"Hey! You didn't have to say that out loud..."

He giggled, showing me his rectangular shaped grin, the tension between us melting into the same warmth I used to feel whenever I was around him. I couldn't help but smile as well.

"We could go watch a movie?"

Wow, what a novel idea, Rena...

"Why don't we go and grab a meal before that," he offered. "Are you hungry?"

My stomach suddenly roared like a thunder and I clutched it, feeling my cheeks heat up instantly.

Why am I embarrassing myself so much in front of him today...?

"I'll take that as a yes," he chuckled and took my hand in his before walking. "My restaurant is not far from here."

I felt goosebumps from the contact.

"O-Okay."

Is this really happening?

This easily?

When I kept quiet during our walk, Taehyung turned his head around to look at me, wondering why I was so silent.

"What's wrong?"

Should I tell him?

I couldn't believe he just revived our relationship in seconds, just like that. Something that was burned to nothing but ashes and buried deep, deep within the earth. Something I would always reminisce, always seek, like a time capsule I could never forget... Wanting to dig it out but couldn't.

It's something I should bring up only decades later, after living my life without getting caught up with it.

He just dug it out as if it was nothing. It didn't sit right with me.

It felt as if he could do anything he wanted with me. As if I... was his doll...?

I didn't like the idea but I couldn't push him away either. Because, as I told him, I needed him beside me, to be with me and to love me.

What was happening to me?

"It's just... I'm afraid that you might leave me again."

I really did...

I wouldn't be able to hear him say that he was breaking up with me again and watch him leave before my eyes again.

My heart was too fragile.

Even a single word of dislike that might come out of his mouth could cut me deep and bleed me until I was actually lifeless this time.

He stopped before grabbing my face with his hands and placing his forehead against mine. His warm breath caressed my face as he sighed softly, and his eyes locked with mine, gazing into them tenderly.

"I would never do anything that could make you cry, Rena. I love you too much to do that. I never imagined that you would be longing for me like this. It was my fault that I didn't. I will never do that to you again..."

I nodded.

I was already vulnerable. I only hoped that he would handle my poor heart with care this time.

Falling in love with someone is beyond everything that is comprehensible. The other person can do anything, every horrible thing in this wretched world to you, but you still let him. You would do anything for his love. You would still seek him after everything.

With just one 'sorry', you would forgive all his sins, forgive all his mistakes, and pull him back to yourself.

And that... is how love hurts.

————————————————————————
A/N: I love and hate love at the same time...

Thank you for reading this chapter and please don't forget to vote if you liked it 💜