16 - Unexpected visitor

Another boring day passed just as quick as it started.

There were times when I would question if I really have to try... Whether my efforts would pay off or not in the end in every aspect of life.

If not, I wonder if I wasted my time criticizing, reprimanding and forcing myself to do my best... If my suffering was all for naught.

This was that time for me as all the students left their works untouched, chatting useless gossips with each other when almost thirty minutes passed since the teacher started talking on his phone.

My phone started ringing.

The teacher wasn't giving two shits for the class, so why should I do?

With that thought, I picked it up and my mother's voice spoke through the line.

"How are you, honey? We haven't talked for days since you last called."

My heart fluttered hearing her usual soft voice and I instantly smiled, my gloomy thoughts disappearing without a trace. Missing her and my father, I contemplated if I should visit them this weekend. The ride there from campus was seven hours long but my longing to see them seemed harder than a long exhausting trip.

"I'm fine. How are you two? Sorry for not calling lately, I was really busy with schoolwork and I just got a new j-" I bit my lips abruptly.

"A new what? Did the line get cut off?"

"Uh... I got a new... j... jewelry..." I trailed off. I didn't want them to worry over the fact that I was working while studying. "Anyway, school's been a really pain in the ass lately, I can't get enough rest to stay sane. Apart from that, everything's great."

"Honey, it's still not too late to change your profession," she said and I frowned. "Being a writer is very hard... Your father and I believe in your abilities, but we still think it's better for you to go with a different profession that offers stable job and salary. Maybe in your master's you can change it?"

I sighed deeply and started, "Mom. I don't-" before starting to cough harshly.

My throat was burning and its every muscle fiber was aching and straining as I kept coughing uncontrollably.

"Rena? Are you okay?"

After clearing my throat and ignoring the throbbing pain, I exclaimed, "Yes. Just coughing, that's all."

"That didn't sound like 'just' coughing. Did you catch a flu? Stop drinking cold water, wear warm clothes and-"

"Okay, mom," I cut her before she could rant for hours. "I'm fine. Don't go rapping on me now."

The teacher stopped talking on his phone and started picking up his belongings.

"Dismissed," he boomed before quickly running out the door, not sparing a single glance at the students.

The students dispersed and fled the scene straight away, cackling and laughing among themselves.

"By the way, mom," I spoke up before dropping the bomb.

"Hm?"

Should I tell her?

"I... um... I started dating someone not long ago," I mumbled, scratching my nape.

"What," she exclaimed, followed by a loud sigh. "Rena... that will only distract you from your studies..."

"Mom, I love him... He's not a distraction and I won't break up with him just so you know," I defended.