25 - The last time

"Um... Can you come and get me? I was walking on the beach and my heels got broken... The sand is really rough and my feet hurt from walking."

"What?! How clumsy can you be," Jungkook scolded me through the phone. "Why were you even wearing high heels anyway?"

I laughed awkwardly. "They were my favorite shoes..."

He sighed. "Why did you even sneak out when I was showering... We could have strolled the beach together." I could hear him pout.

"Sorry," I said, smiling sheepishly, "couldn't wait to get some refreshing air."

Even though the evening breeze was calming, along with the melodious sounds of the waves crashing, I couldn't enjoy my walk because of the stupid sand.

Everything about our honeymoon was perfect... except the pebbly sand.

"Alright, I'm coming with your sandals. Just don't move."

I hung up and heaved a sigh.

But I wanna walk...

The sun was setting already and I felt a little bit cold. I was only wearing a white, off the shoulders summer dress.

Trying to ignore the pain in my feet, I took small steps towards the resort.

There weren't any other person around, but I liked it that way. I could find some peace of mind and organize my thoughts.

Just then, I saw a man walking towards me with his hands in his pockets while gazing at the sunset.

At first, I thought it was Jungkook, but when he kept coming closer, I started freaking out.

What was Taehyung doing here?

I dropped my head and covered my face with my hair, trying to disguise myself.

However, as if nature was against it, a strong wind suddenly blew past me, disheveling my hair and I raised my head to fix it.

He saw me.

Our pace slowed down until we stopped in front of each other as our eyes locked.

Trying to come up with an excuse for staring at him, I chuckled. "Aren't you that guy I bumped into years ago?"

Wow... as if I would remember that...

As if he would remember that...

His expression stayed soft as he said, "I am."

How much I missed hearing that voice... Even in my dreams, I couldn't replicate that sweet, honey-like deep voice well.

Are you doing well?

"How are you?"

He gave me a small smile. The way his eyes soften as his lips curved... I missed it.

"I'm fine, thank you for asking," he said, brushing his silky hair. "Just came here for a conference. And you?"

I chuckled under my breath and looked at the sea, not wanting to see his pained expression when I said, "I'm here for my honeymoon."

There was a short silence.

"I see..."

I took a deep breath, trying to soothe the aching of my heart.

"He must be a lucky guy," he whispered. His tone was playful, mixed with a hint of sadness. He was happy for me but also sorrowful.

I looked back at him to see him inspecting my feet.

"Your feet are bruised," he said worriedly. "Why aren't you wearing your shoes?"

"Huh? Oh..." I brought my high heels up to show them to him. "The heels snapped, so..."

I widened my eyes when he started taking off his sandals and quickly stopped him by grabbing his arms.

"You should wear mine," he stammered.

"It's fine! I'm fine. You don't have to do that."

He stared at me with a worried frown before turning around and squatting.

"Get on my back. I'll take you to the resort."

Wha-

"I'm really okay. It doesn't even hurt," I lied, trying to pull him up.

"Please just do it for me," he muttered without looking at me. "For my sake."

I swallowed my words and quietly leaned down to get on his back. He wrapped his arms around my legs tightly and stood up, earning a light squeak from me.

Chuckling at my weird sound, he started walking towards the resort's direction slowly, careful not to make me uncomfortable.

No matter how much I wanted to talk to him, I held myself back. For him, for Jungkook, and for myself.

Meeting him like this, even hearing his voice was enough for me.

I got to know he was doing well without me.

My heart was at ease.

I saw Jungkook running towards us when I lifted my head up to the front. He was holding my brown colored sandals and neon green cardigan.

Isn't he the sweetest?

"Mira!"

Huffing, he stopped before us and his eyes kept glancing between Taehyung and I in confusion.

"Baby, is he someone you know?"

I nodded with a small smile. "He wanted to help me reach the resort faster... I didn't want to just stand here since it was getting cold."

"Ah, I see," he exclaimed and thanked him as he gently put me down on the ground.

He wrapped the cardigan around me and carefully put my sandals on my feet after cleaning them before holding my hand to walk back.

I looked back at Taehyung to see him smiling softly at me.

"Well, then... farewell... Mira."

He turned to look at the man next to me and exchanged nods.

With that, we parted ways, heading to opposite directions.

After taking a few steps, I looked back at him one last time to watch him walk further away from me.

Even though my heart cried after him, I stood firmly.

I should understand that he was supposed to stay in my heart, but not in my life...

And that...

...was the last time I saw him.

——————————————————————
A/N:

Thank you for reading this chapter and please don't forget to vote if you liked it 💜