Jealousy

The small shack Haku and Zabuza stayed in was small yet cozy, but somehow also managed to be creepy and unassuming. Kana stayed in a spare room, a room with one boarded up window, a small cot in the corner and a dresser, where a pack of matches and a single candle were. She laid on her bed in boredom, staring up at the wethered ceiling. 

She suddenly sat up, her mind wandering to the team of Konoha shinobi she hitched a ride with. She didn't need a place to stay after spending the night in the creppy yet cozy shack. She pulled back her hair and smoothed out her clothes, making sure all her weapons were in place before leaving the room.

Haku was sweeping the hallway, his long silky black hair tied up in a messy bun and a broom clutched in his hands. He looked up at the sound of the door opening and smiled.

"Good morning, Kana," He smiled. "Would you like anything to eat."

"No, I'm good." Kana replied, holding up her hands. "But I just wanted to let you know that I will be heading out for a little while."

"Where are you going?" He asked, tilting his head innocently.

"Just out to see some friends," She answered. "And before you ask; no, I will not tell anyone you are here or that I have met you and Zabuza."

"See you later then!" Haku chirped, going back to sweeping.

Kana left the building, heading off into the forest, humming a tune in her head as she walked.

Oshiete oshiete yo sono shikumi wo boku no naka ni dare ga iru no? 

She walked along the forest floor, kicking random pebbles as she walked. Lyrics flashing through her head as she walked into town.

Kowareta kowareta yo kono sekai de kimi ga warau nanimo miezu ni.

Kana pretended to strum a guitar, as that was the part of the song where the music got really intense. The song continued in her head, and she sang the very last line out loud.

Oshiete oshiete boku no naka ni dare ga iru no?

When she first heard the song, Deidara had taken her to a music festival in Amegakure a few years ago, and the song just struck a cord inside her. The song seemed to be about not knowing who you are, feeling distant, not fitting in, and just being confused. Along with mentions of feeling like there was another person inside. A monster.

Kana asked herself some of these questions plenty. Every time she saw a child and their parents, or a family out for lunch together. Kana never knew what having parents was like, and she couldn't really eat around others without being disgusted with herself. Often times she didn't feel like herself, especially when she put off eating for too long.

Pushing her internal thoughts aside, Kana emerged from the forest, ending up on a sidewalk not too far from that drunkard's place. With a shrug, she headed towards his place.

~~~~~

Wave was nothing like Ame.

There were no cheerful greetings, no busy streets, no gleeful children playing, no shinobi walking around, and no food vendors out selling fresh goods. It was a gloomy place, almost the entire town being filled with homeless children begging for a scrap of food. Kana would share but doubted they'd like a piece of her kind of breakfast.

When Tazuna's house came into view Kana grinned, her cheerful morning attitude not having worn off. She knocked politely on the door. The tall young woman from yesterday opened the door, greeting her with a smile.

"Kana, right?" She asked. "Did you find a place to stay?"

"Yes, thank you..." Kana trailed off, unsure of what to call her.

"Tsunami," She supplied. "What can I help you with?"

"I just came to see the Konoha shinobi I was helping yesterday." Kana replied.

"They're all out back training," Tsunami chuckled. "Just go around the side of the house and you'll find them."

Kana leapt away from the door, waving at Tsunami. "Thank you!"

~~~~~

As Kana crept along the side of the house, she could hear the sound of frustrated yelling, along with the sound of tree bark breaking and yelling.

Poking her head around the corner, she saw that the genin team were all busy training, however, Sakura fared much better than them. She ran up her tree with ease and sat on a branch, waving to Kana when she spotted her.

Kana politely waved back, walking into the forested area and greeting the group cheerfully.

"Good morning!" She chirped, giving them all a quick wave.

"Morning." Kakashi replied, continuing to read and only raising a hand in greeting.

Sasuke nodded, and Naruto cheerfully reciprocated the greeting. Sakura walked down her tree, also greeting the white-haired girl chipperly.

"Are you all training?" Kana asked, staring at the scratch marks etched into the tree trunks.

"Yeah, but I can't quite get it." Naruto sighed, much less enthused than before.

Sasuke clicked his tounge.

"I've already finished!" Sakura exclaimed, clearly quite proud of herself.

"I had a lot of trouble when I learned this," Kana chuckled. "It took me a few days to master it because of my larger chakra supply."

Both Sasuke and Naruto perked up at that.

"Didn't you know?" Kana asked. "The more chakra you have the harder it is to control. While Sakura got it faster, that doesn't mean she is better than either of you. You should all work hard and accomplish your goals."

"Thanks, Kana!" Naruto grinned. "I'm going to go train now!"

Naruto ran off and Sasuke sighed, giving Kana another quick nod before following after his hyperactive teammate.

"Well, Sakura," Kakashi said, looking up. "Since you've completed the exercise already, you can guard Tazuna today."

"Okay!" Sakura smiled.

"I'll tag along." Kana shrugged. "I have nothing better to do."

~~~~~

"Why the hell are you back?" Tazuna scoffed.

Kana feigned being hurt, placing a hand over her heart.

"I'm hurt!" She gasped. "I can't even spend time with my friends?"

"We're your friends?" Sakura asked.

"Of course!" Kana chuckled. "Do you not want to be friends?"

"No! I do!" Sakura quickly replied. "It's just, you're so strong. So much stronger than me. I can't help but be jealous."

Kana frowned, patting Sakura once on the back. "You don't want to be like me."

"But why?" Sakura asked. "You're so nice, and pretty, and strong. Not weak and scared like me."

"Sakura, I'm sure you have many things I'm jealous of too," Kana replied. "And I was weak too, no one is born strong. You have to get there yourself."

"I find that hard to believe." Sakura smiled.

"Well, it's true."

The two fell into silence and Tazuna walked a little ways behind them. Drinking away the awkwardness.

Yes, he was drinking on the job. Safety regulations? Who needs them. He's building a bridge to save a country.

Fuck being sober.

Tazuna had a problem.

A/N

My phones dying and I have to go to sleep! Good night!