Chapter 5

I could feel the train slow and Captain Wayne quickly put back his helmet. ''I hope you are ready My- Kaelie.''

''How could I ever be?'' I whispered more to myself and we both walked to the door. He opened it and got off first to help me down.

I had to shield my eyes from the sun momentarily before being able to see properly. There were a lot of people restrained at gates, clapping and cheering loudly. For a second I almost thought this was for me before I looked to my right and saw a beautiful girl, all dressed up in fancy clothes and make-up disguising her traits. 

Captain Wayne put a hand on my upper back and gently pushed me towards wide gates surrounded by a giant brick wall.

I started to look around to find disdainful looks on some faces as they stared at me. Some even shouted awful things like: 'You don't belong here', 'Go back to your rat hole', and 'You're a disgrace to Their Majesties'.

A knot filled my throat as I looked away from all those people cheering for everyone unless me, things flashing my way - cameras if I remembered properly - only to find other girls getting off horse-drawn carriages and things on four wheels moving on their own. Every single girl looked so beautiful, clean, and remarkably clothed. On the other hand, I was dirty from lack of water, my clothes were drab with holes and I didn't even know what I looked like today. Mirrors were rare things and my family preferred keeping their money for useful things.

Captain Wayne moved quicker, probably realizing how people hated me and we stopped in front of the gates, waiting as the other girls signed autographs and took pictures. It took a while before one of them showed up, fanning herself. I was starting to freeze on the contrary.

''So you're the rat. I'm Jezabel but that's not an invitation to talk to me. In fact, you better stay away from me, I don't want to get any disease.'' She talked alone, making her own conversation as I gazed at the floor. 

Another girl came behind, almost jumping up and down, ''I can't believe this is happening! I'm so excited.'' She gushed and I almost told her how the royal family were known as cruel and heartless people but bit my tongue.

Others joined as well, waiting with us and making small talks, exchanging details about one another. But no one dared to approach me.

''The gates will now open.'' A weird voice sounded all around us and I almost jumped away. 

Indeed, the gates opened to reveal the most beautiful and majestic castle I'd ever seen. Not that I already had. Captain Wayne had to give a little push for me to move as all the girls walked past me, some almost skipping in excitement. I walked slowly, knowing this was going to be an awful - but hopefully short - journey. I had come back on my word to get the Prince's attention as soon as I saw all those girls. I was no match.

The guards walked with us, guiding us towards the castle's entry. Some girls, most of all Jezabel who I already hated, started to complain about walking but I was happy to be outside. I almost wanted to start running and maybe escape from this horribly beautiful place.

They guided us inside the castle and the luxury of the train was nothing compared to this entrance. The most gigantic chandelier was above me and I was afraid it might fall on us as we passed under it. It was illuminated by candles and what may be a thousand diamonds reflecting the outside sun. The floor was cold under my feet, a feeling I had never experienced before and I looked down to see black and white squares alternate. My mouth was gaping open as I took all in, the white pillars, the red curtains, the high ceiling, and so many more extravagant objects set on shelves. We even walked a hall where pictures were hanging in frames twice my size.