Chapter 22

Everything seemed to slow down, all unless my anxiousness which was running wild. My hands were sweaty, just like everything else since this morning. The announcement of our project was this afternoon and I had to prepare myself for the judgemental looks from everyone.

My maids were preparing everything, doing the last adjustments to my posters, my clothes, and preparing the bath just like the makeup. As they were doing so, I took a look in the diary, trying to find something that might encourage me.

August 26

My belly is so gigantic that I have trouble moving around but I can't stay in that bed anymore. My highlights are when Oliver and his mother come to visit me. He is such a sweetheart, patting my belly as if it was a pet that might come out. He once asked when his friend would come out to play. I had to laugh. The more time moves, the more I am anxious. Many women don't survive the delivery, but I have to tell myself I'll have the best in all the kingdom.
Landon has finally decided to apply one of my ideas after my many tries of talking about it to him. I had feared he - and every man on the council - would judge me, but once I stopped caring about my image only I started to see the benefits for the others. The people will now have the luxury to have an exchange of food through the cities by trains. They won't starve anymore. 

They are in construction right now and I keep going outside on the front porch to watch the many men work on the construction of the rails. I hope the people will finally have the chance to eat properly. After so many wars, after so many sacrifices from families all over the country, they deserve to at least have a life, not simply survival.

Philipps kept saying it was a bad idea but I'm sure he was just furious that the poorer were getting a way of life fairer. Maybe he thinks his place in the high-ranked will be overpowered? I wouldn't mind.

I closed the diary with multiple questions. How come I had never heard of food exchange? Was it something they did in the richest cities? But that wouldn't make sense, since she was talking about fairness between the people.

I looked around as I hid the diary, wishing Hayz didn't see me. Her focus was all on the makeup in the bathroom.

''My lady, will you please step in the bath?'' Linda demanded exasperated and I laughed quietly as I nodded.

I had to laugh when I watched myself through the mirror. This wasn't as bad as when I came here a few weeks ago, but I did feel more myself.

Linda had washed my clothes from my village and drew some marks so they would still look dirty. When I put them on, I felt at home apart from the clean smell. Hayz had made my makeup and it was very realistic - there were burnt marks made out of gelatin and other stuff I didn't quite catch up on, mud-like stains and my lips looked parched. The main difference was that we didn't see as many bones as before.

''Don't worry, the makeup will come off easily, you just have to pull on the burn marks and wash with the clothing. But don't wash over your eyes!'' Grace rambled on.

I watched my eyes as she said it, they were darker than my usual makeup, like charcoals in a wildfire.

''And Hayz you know your part?'' I asked without looking at her. She was my best choice if I wanted to succeed at the task - she was used to sneaking around.

''Yes, I will get you in time on the stage.''

''And Linda...''

''I will tell your friends that you will be late.'' She smiled at me although she fidgeted.

''If you don't want to, I can find another way-'' I started but this time Grace cut me off.

''If she doesn't I will, I owe you my life.'' She said, almost with tears in her eyes.