Chapter 15

My feet moved of their own accord as I ran past the guard. He yelled after me to come back and follow the group but I ignored him, trying to get to my room as fast as I could. Soldiers were roaming the halls, most of them running in different directions as the staff of the castle were finding sanctuary in rooms I had never been in. Someone tried to catch me to make me go in the same direction but I leaped forward, dodging his hand.

I ran faster, pushing on the ground harder and asking more of my already burning lungs. When I finally got to my room, I swung it open.

I stopped dead in my tracks as I saw two of my maids, Grace, and Linda, hugging each other on the floor in an attempt to seek reassurance in one another.

''My Lady! What are you doing here?'' Linda's voice was shakier than usual.

''I-I needed to get something... What are you doing here? Why aren't you hiding in the safe rooms?'' I had seen the safe rooms on the maps of the castle in the multiple books Garrett had made me read. There were enough to take them in at least one.

''The safe rooms aren't for maids. We can't hide anywhere but the usual rooms.'' I gaped openly at them, my mouth opening and closing before I made a decision. I walked to my hidden place and took the diary.

''Where is Hayz?''

''She left before the attack to get new bedsheets. She must be hiding somewhere else.'' Linda said and I saw Grace shaking next to her.

''Alright, you're coming with me,'' I said my voice loud and clear. I could hear screams in the distance, the sound of sword on sword, and orders being directed to soldiers but it seemed far away. It didn't feel real, the sound so far away from here. On the other hand, I had never felt anything this stressful and I knew the consequences that could come if I didn't get us to safety fast enough. My mind was going on overdrive, telling me I had to make a choice right about now or this could cost our lives.

''We can't Kaelie,'' Linda whispered and I shot her a glare before my gaze softened slightly but not enough for her to refuse again.

I kneeled in front of her, ''You listen to me. I am saying you are coming with me, it is an order. I just can't leave you here unprotected.'' Before she could say a thing, I cut her off, ''It's not a choice, otherwise, I'm staying here with you.''

She nodded once hesitantly before getting up with Grace. I helped them until they were almost steady on their feet. ''Let's go.''

I took a quick look around the hall before leading them towards the staircase on my right. I knew there was an easy entry to one room near the kitchen. If we could at least get there, that would be a start.

The sounds were becoming louder and I could feel my heartbeat too fast in my chest. I was about to step around the corner to get to the stairs but stopped the girls so they wouldn't follow. I gulped down nausea, my breath hitching as I took in the view. There must have been seven dead bodies on the stairs, lying lifeless with blood still drizzling out of their body. How could this have happened so quickly? There was no one in sight right down the stairs but I knew the battle was near.

''Why are we stopping?'' Grace whispered in an uneven tone.

I stared deeply into her eyes, ''You do as I say. You will close your eyes as we walk down the stairs.''

''Why?'' Came back her tiny voice.

''Don't ask, just do it,'' I told her and looked at Linda. She was pale but I knew she could manage better. ''We can't waste another second, come on,'' I told her and she nodded once, squaring her shoulders.

We moved forward, Grace clinging to Linda's hand. Linda had to look away from the bodies and so I blocked her view. Don't look at them, I told myself. Yet, I kept staring at them, making sure Wayne wasn't one of them. Six guards and... Sir Dustin.