Chapter 29

I slowly opened my eyes as the sun was still down. I stretched my aching limbs, trying to get rid of this soreness. When I looked around, there was a plate with a dome and a note. I slowly climbed out of bed to read what it was.

'The first time I trained, I ditched dinner as well. Rest well.' There was no name but I smiled as I could only guess Wayne would have done something like that. I took off the dome to find still-warm eggs, fruits, and pastries. My mouth watered at the sight alone and I devoured the whole thing in minutes, not giving time for my stomach to register what was happening.

The person who had delivered the plate must have come at an early hour since everything was at the right temperature. Feeling rested and full, I decided to start my day and opened a book I had taken with me a few days ago and opened it to study by my window. It was everything about the wars since Darkovia was established as a country and tactics of war were written all over the pages.

The raindrop hit my window right before the sun pointed its nose and a wide smile arrived on my face. I took a cape and got out of my room, walking fast towards the garden, needing to feel the cold, soft touch of water.

I was about to turn the corner to get to the door when I heard two voices.

''-could be quite surprising. You know he never meant to push you away.''

''Can we talk about something else today, please? I don't particularly like reminiscing about the past days like you do.'' Prince Oliver said in a desperate tone and his mother laughed out loud.

''Right, would you prefer we talk about your choice of woman? I heard Lady Kaelie is impressive in the training room, more so than in the ballroom. Or maybe Lady Lacy, such a delicate and wise young woman. Please don't say it's Jezabel!''

I chanced a look around the corner to see Oliver with a huge grin on his face and his mother tapping her chin trying to find which one was the woman for him.

''You really believe I'm going to speak about this? You must be mad.'' She half-heartedly slapped him on the shoulder laughing.

''I'm sure you'll make the right choice, the one who makes you smile like that.'' Just then, it slowly vanished.

''You know I can't, mom.'' 

She sobered as well and stepped closer, a hand on his cheek, ''When did you become so serious you lost the will to even fight for what you wanted? I remember a young man who was ready to mess up his own hair only so he didn't have to take a family portrait.'' She quietly laughed thinking about it. He slowly took her hand and softly kissed it before letting go.

''You know when. I can't deal with more consequences.'' 

Before any of them were to walk my way, I quickly got back to my room, resisting the urge to know more about the when, the consequences, and - as astonishing as it may sound - his choice of lady.

''How do you speak to a Duke?''

''I start by My Lord,'' I answered Garrett in a bored tone. Couldn't this ball just happen so I'd be done with it already?

He stared at me before sitting, ''You can go, your focus has left and there's nothing we can do to retrieve it.''

I smiled at him in excitement, ''Thank you, My Lord.'' I curtsied and left laughing to myself. Anyway, there were only ten minutes left of the course. My guard was nowhere to be found so I made my way to my room to find Elizabeth already waiting.

''Your course has ended faster as well?'' I wondered as she fidgeted.

''N-no I was having a date with the Prince.''