Epilogue

The smell hit him first like something was rotting inside. Then the humid air tried to cling to his skin, seeping through the fabric of his shirt. He stopped by the door frame, hesitating to enter the dungeons. He stared at his oldest friend for a while too long when the guard addressed him.

''Is there something I can do for you, Your Highness?''

Oliver shook his head, his heart beating painfully in his chest as Wayne caught sight of him.

''You just can't stay away, can you?'' He laughed wryly, disdain on his face. ''Here to enjoy my last days alive?''

The Prince gulped before walking to his cell, ''I never wanted this to happen.''

Wayne kept staring at him hatefully, ''Like you never wanted what happened to Iris?''

''I didn't.'' He said simply but the pain that stirred in his heart at the simple thought of her was barely bearable. She was his friend as well though Wayne would never see his pain, he needed someone to blame it on and it was easier to make Oliver suffer for it. And he would take that burden.

''What the Hell do you want?''

He got closer to the cell, eyeing Wayne as he hid his emotions, he had gotten good at it over the years, ''To say goodbye.'' Because at last, he would stop being selfish, he would let his oldest friend go.

''Well, I don't give a shit about your farewell. By the end of the week, I'll be dead.'' He took a look at the cell next to him, ''We both will. For our true sovereign.''

''I will tell her how brave you were until the end.'' Oliver sarcastically replied to Wayne, trying not to roll his eyes at all this patriotic side of him. One thing he knew about being royal was that too many people would risk their lives for them although their lives weren't worth more than theirs.

''Why do you even care?'' Wayne wondered before eyeing Oliver. He hadn't heard the whole conversation he had earlier with Kaelie, but now he understood, even more, when Oliver turned his head away, emotions slipping out. Wayne started laughing, slowly getting up to walk to the person he used to call brother, ''This can't be really happening, can it? I mean, I did suspect it and told her, but these were only suspicions. Who would've thought you'd fall in love with the girl you called a savage.'' He laughed even harder, ''And she chose me over you!''

''Really?'' Someone added to the conversation. Oliver could barely look at the man who had taken away the Princess. But he did, with all the strength he had. ''How can you love someone and treat them like that?''

Wayne kept laughing incredulously, ''And now you've lost her forever, no matter what you choose to do next.''

''I already know all that, that's not why I am here.'' Oliver moved to the old man and slid something in his hand. Henry brought the small object up to his eyes.

''What's the trick?'' Wayne asked doubtfully, his laughter dying suddenly.

''No trick.'' He answered.

Henry looked up at the boy who was barely a man still, pride and astonishment for him. He could easily remember the little kid who used to run around in the castle, waving a fake sword to get people to laugh, ''Why?''

''I made a promise to your daughter. I want to honor it although she might never forgive me for what I did.'' He said, taking the blame once more.

Henry stuffed the key in his pocket as he spoke his words softly without malice, ''You could've become so much better, but your fear of your own father and your jealousy and hatred for the whole world has made you a man not worthy of the love of my daughter. The day you'll understand what it's like to give yourself wholly to someone, to your country, you might finally become a man worthy of everything she has to offer.''

Oliver shook his head in denial, anger in his eyes, ''I'm just here because I'm a man of my word. The rest doesn't concern you.''

As Oliver turned on his heels to leave, Henry's voice reached him one last time, ''It might not be too late still.''