Chapter 17

My legs were wobbly and unsteady as I tried to walk with the high heels the girls had chosen for me.

''I can't,'' I whined and sat on the floor.

''Stop being a whining baby and get off the floor. You need to have shoes for a ball.'' Hayz said from the chair next to my little desk, digging shamelessly into my gifts from unknown people, which were mostly delicacies such as scones, little cakes, and chocolate. There was as well a bouquet of wildflowers with extravagant colors without a note attached to them, which I could only suppose Wayne had sent.

''Maybe I could ditch it? The attack story could make up for it.'' I offered and Grace instantly reacted.

''Oh no! My dress will be the most beautiful at this ball, you need to show it off!'' She scolded and we all went silent at her outburst before laughing. Quiet and sweet Grace had a voice.

I was more than happy to see Linda and her were doing great after the shock they had gone through.

''Is everything ready for my interview?'' I asked a bit nervous. How would people react? It was a bit too late though to worry about that.

''Oh yes, it is.'' Linda beamed.

''Will it work?'' I turned to Grace.

''You won't believe your eyes.'' She grinned wildly clearly proud of herself.

They did my hair first as the ball was getting closer, leaving it loose as usual, soft waves trailing down my back. They clipped some strands out of the way of my face before starting on the makeup. They only put on some foundation and a pale lipstick since I had a mask on anyway.

The dress was gigantic and wonderful. It had a large skirt going to the floor in waves, probably twice as much space as my usual dresses. The corset was tighter - but not enough to injure me more - and had long sleeves though we could still see some cleavage which was a necessity to Linda's opinion.

No necklace, no jewelry. Nothing seemed to shine on me. The whole thing black.

''How can you look so good in black with a black eye?'' Hayz teased.

''I'll need my mask.'' I grinned. It was exactly how I wanted it.

The mask was black as well, made of feathers. It was large and tied behind my head so I wouldn't have to hold it up all night long with a stick.

''It's quite big.'' I observed. It stuck out on each side of my face, getting thinner and higher. It hid my face only between the middle of my forehead to the top of my cheekbones.

''I couldn't make it smaller for when the moment came.'' Grace apologized but I could only smile when I looked at myself. They would freak out.

''It's perfect! Thank you so much.'' I hugged them all excited to get to show it to the world.

A knock got us all to split up and Hayz tried to give me the high heels once more. ''You need them.''

''Next time, or I'll be late!'' I almost ran to the door but Grace stopped me with a shriek.

''Don't move too fast!'' She ordered and I slowed down just as I opened the door.

Wayne was standing there with a huge smile, his mask cut in diagonal, starting from the left side of his jaw to his right cheekbone. It was a dark shade of blue laced with black. He wasn't wearing the usual guard attire, but this time a more formal suit.

''You look good Captain.'' I tried not to blush as his blue eyes scrutinized me.

''So do you.'' He grinned back before offering me his arm. ''Shall we?''