Chapter 24

Marcus huffed and said, "fine, it's Ritha... "

He was interrupted by Augustus's angry voice, "don't you dare complete that sentence. "

Marcus was confused at first but when the matter dawned upon him, he smirked at his brother. Augustus thought that he was saying that the lady was Ritha which was not the case with Marcus. Marcus wanted to further tease Augustus but decided against it when he saw the angry look in his eyes. He completed, "right now I said that Ritha is like my sister , I'm talking about her female protector, Aquila. "

Marcus rolled his eyes when he saw Augustus releasing a sigh of relief. "You are smitten by your wife's charm and grace. " mocked Marcus.

"Forget about me, plan about your wedding with Aquila. Right now, these cowards are a big issue for me. " Augustus masked his happiness and this time, he wanted to divert the topic.

Marcus's playful looks went away when he saw the serious looks on his brother's face. He felt sympathetic towards Augustus's when he saw the tired look in his eyes Which screamed tiredness. "Who do you think 'The Eagles'could be? "

Augustus changed his posture and scraped his chin, " I think the conspiracy planned is something big because the attacks planned were not fatal. "

Marcus raised his brows in confusion, " not fatal? It was definitely fatal. That day, you could have been stabbed by arrow and even today, there were trained sword fighters. You were fortunate enough to save yourself or you could have had di..., di.. "Marcus shook his head, " I can't even complete this sentence. "

Augustus was looking at the portrait of his mother which was hung at the wall . When Marcus finished his speaking , Augustus drifted his blue orbs back on Marcus and said, " had it been a fatal attack, they wouldn't have had carried a paper or a painting with them. There was a message stuck on an arrow and even today there was a message in the pocket of one of the attackers. "

Augustus kept both his hands on the table and leaned forward, "They certainly wanted to deliver the message. I'm just curious who are they, a small group or spies from a neighboruring kingdom?"

Marcus just hummed in response and said, " i think...... they are a small group who are trying to kill royal members."

Augustus was not convinced with this logic, " if they wanted to kill royal members, they would have had done it long back. I have an intuition that it is related to Rome."

Marcus's eyes went wide, "Rome? That's a serious deal. Small group can't do anything. I think you are interpreting this whole situation in a wrong way. Maybe, they are just few people mingled with one of our brothers . Don't take this matter lightly and worry for your safety. "

Augustus pondered and said, " yeah, it could be. It is somewhat justified because attacks have been just on me and my wife but still... Let's see what happens in upcoming future."

  To lighten the mood, Marcus made a funny face and said, "Wohoooo! My wife! Definitely she's your wife ,no need to make me jealous. "

He ran away saving his life when Augustus picked up one of the flower vase from near table in a way as if he would hit Marcus. He yelled, " hold on! I'll tell your lady love Aquila about this. "

             Apart from this conspiracies, garden of the palace of Florence was grappled with the innocent laughter of Justus and Cato who were mocking Rithambara.

" You know Justus, your mother was beaten by your grandmother after she was found guilty for climbing on the top of a tree chasing a monkey. "

     Rithambara had her fingers in her ears who shook her head in denial and said, " Nooooooo , Justus I was a disciplined girl. I always listened to the orders of my mother and father. I never got beating. You should also learn from me... "

  She was interrupted by the laughter of Cato. "Disciplined girl? And you? Ha ha ha.. " His laughter increased when Justus joined him in his laughter. After calming himself, he again spoke, "You were once beaten by a broom when you slapped a prince from neighboruring country. "

        "You are a Shakuni mama! What are you teaching my son? No, Justus nothing like this happened. My mother was teaching me how to punish bad people with that broom. She pretented to do beat me . "said Rithambara whose face had completely turned red because of embarrassment.

  Cato said, "Wait a minute! You were not listening to our conversation because you had closed you ears. Tell me and Justus how are you able to listen to out talks? " Cato had an amused look on his face.

"Oh yes! Ma, do you have special power, teach me also. " pouted Justus.

"Yes son! I've special powers. Wait here, I'll bring milk for you." Ritha practically ran inside to save herself from further embarrassment.

     She poked her tongue out at Cato who was hell bent on telling her childhood stories to her son. She went inside the palace and was smiling at the thought of her son's innocence. She was so engrossed in her thoughts that she didn't notice someone following her quietly. She was about to take a turn, when someone pulled her ...