Chapter 52

A very happy birthday to my virtual bestie theKiara You're an amazing person with humbleness. My motivator when I face lows. Love ya. 💕💕 I cherish you and our duniya bhar ki baatein. 😂

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

Catering through shady and dark forest, she came near open land where bright sunlight hit her eyes which compelled her to squint them. She dared to look towards the illuminating sun and it felt being transferred into another known dimension. Her eyelids flapped and when she wasn't able to handle the intensity.

White curtains, caressed by cool night breeze were the first thing which came in her vision. She blinked few times and drifted her eyeballs and saw Augustus holding her hands while his head was drooped down and it seemed like that he had fallen asleep in that uncomfortable position.

Closing her eyes tightly, she tried to revoke her memory and within seconds, every detail of the dangerous event dawned upon her. She shuffled a bit and that was enough for Augutstus to sit straight.

He blinked twice to escape blurness and a pleasant shock welcomed him in form of conscious Ritha. Craning his neck side wise to get rid of stiffness which he felt all night, he asked Ritha,

"Sweetheart! Are you alright?"

At first, Ritha wanted to give him silent treatment since he was dancing with young girls at the mask procession but after seeing his worried face laced with tension, she decided against it. Though pain was pinching her body, she did her best to conceal it with her smile.

Unanswered questions were peeking at Ritha through Augustus's eyes but he denied voicing them out seeing her condition. He scooted closer to her and kissed on her forehead pouring out his care and worry. He wasn't convinced with her smile but didn't question her.

He called the medicus once again and stood there till she was done with her procedure.  After showering and running his morning routine, he carried Ritha in washroom. He helped her in removing the complicated fabric (saree)  which made her a bit uncomfortable. She assured him that she could do it on her own but one sharp glare from him fixed her.

    At first, he brushed her teeth with a wooden twig and then made her gargle with ammonia.

( P. S. :- urine when left for long, decomposes into ammonia and was used to whiten teeth)

   When she was done with it, Augustus picked up a white clean cloth and dipped it into scented rose and jasmine water. He dabbed it on her face and wiped her body taking utmost care of her wound. His soft touches were filled with care as if he was dealing with an infant.

   Wrapping her body with another cloth, he brought her out of the washroom. Since she was injured, Augustus didn't allow her to wear her heavy sarees, instead, he slipped her body in light sky blue cotton gown.

    He helped her in gulping beetroot and spinach juice when she denied doing so. After doing it, he himself combed her hair and now at this point, Ritha's resistance broke and for the first time, tears started streaming down her eyes. He was taking care of her like a mother would do. He sacrificed his sleep, made her drink all the medicines, helped her to take bath and now, he was combing her hair. Feeling like the luckiest lady on Earth, her emotions overflowed in form of tears.

    Augustus's hand halted in midway and he was stunned! His yellow fabric was crying? He double checked in order it confirm.

' Wait what? She's seriously crying? Of course she is! '

" Sweetheart! Did I hurt you? What happened love? "

She sniffled hard listening to her husband's voice and instead of speaking, pulled his hands near mouth and kissed it.

" It's not the pain which made me cry, it's your love which did it. " she was able to speak in her hoarse voice making Augustus sigh in relief.

" My God, lady! You scared me! "
Augustus exclaimed but had a smile lingering on his lips. Hugging her shoulders, he spoke, " I'll always love you! "

   He laid her on the bed and allowed his concerned family members to visit her. Starting from King Atticus to Cato, everyone sighed in relief seeing her resting.

      At last, Marcus came inside alongwith Justus who was grumpy all night.

Not bothering even to glance at his father, he ran squealing towards Ritha who was in half sitting position on the bed. . Though his small frame wasn't able to climb at bed, he tried again and again.

Chuckling at his son, Augustus picked him up effortlessly and made him sit on the bed. No sooner did Justus sit on the bed, he threw his arms over his mother's neck. He was about to climb up on her but Augustus held him back reminding him about Ritha's injury.

Pouting his lips, his eyes filled up with pearly tears which squeezed Ritha's heart. She consoled her son and hugged him in a way that her wounds weren't being touched.

   Marcus exchanged pleasantries with Ritha and asked about her health and wished her all the best.

      Pressing his throbbing temples, Augustus sighed heavily remembering Aurelius's words. While repeating previous day's scenario in his head, suddenly , a missing point flashed in his head, " Where was Aquila when all of this happened? "