Chapter 57

( Not me being guilt tripped by emotional comments. I had unpublished further chapters from wattpad, but it's my first work and I'm planning to keep it free now. Having said that, I'll publish ' Royal Rift ' on Patreon. But I need votes or a kind of indecisive person I'm, I'll unpublish again. Lol. No threats, it's just the way I'm. 😂)

Ready for it? Taylor Swift

' Your mother isn't dead Marcus. "

Marcus never knew that a sentence, a mere sentence could make one's heart drop in stomach with a thud. His head was spinning like a merry go round and he held on the arm of the wooden chair for steadiness. He could feel coldness dominating his veins and the heaviness he felt while uttering next word, ' huh ' was inexplicable.

   Instead of replying to his 'huh' she immersed her concentrated orbs in his. The pause which followed was oh so dramatic! Marcus's heartbeats were dropping down by each and every passing second .

" I mean she's always with you in your journey as a blessing whether you become the king OR not. She'll support you whatever you do."

  Marcus was expecting worse to come, therefore, it took few minutes to understand what Ritha actually meant.

"Huh...umm.. Yes, yes, true, your highness. " his mind was too numb to acknowledge what he was speaking.

  These lines should have provided him relief but they didn't. He could sense an edge of obscure warning in her tone that set his pulse on high sensuality. Her eyes were gazing at him in such a strange, to be more accurate, mysterious manner, that he could feel that she knew something.

' or is it just in my head? '

The duality of situation was taking a toll over his logical part.  He didn't know what to think or make out of it. She had successfully manipulated him through her words and now, he couldn't ask an explanation of it. The only wise thing which his brain could come up with was to stare at Justus. His palm was still sweating but he did his best to hide it. He secretly glanced at Ritha who had her eyes closed while her head was supported by wooden headrest.

   Though her eyes were closed, she could feel Marcus's eyes on her. She didn't want to make Marcus more uncomfortable but it would be a lie to say that she didn't enjoy it. Once again, she spoke something which again raised his heartbeats.

" You know Prince Marcus, the only difference between us and the Eagles is of ethics. Given that if they are from our enemy kingdom. In the end, it's about Rome but if someone is doing it by cheating, they're cheating on their own people who take pride in belonging to that particular kingdom."

If he thought that being asked about his mother was the most strenuous thing, he was definitely wrong because the word, ' Eagles ' had already set his body on fire.

' is she doubting me or is it a normal conversation ? '

  His mind was playing so many scenarios that everything was messed up but he had to come up with something.

" Why are you telling me this your highness? Yo..u should rest. "

Chuckling a bit in the response, Ritha spoke, " I'm talking to you in order to distract myself from the pain. You should lose down a bit."

Her last line made it clear that she had felt tension radiating from his body. He slumped his shoulders down and pretended to relax. He wanted to scream and crawl the truth out of her which made her ask this but he couldn't.

Feeling helpless, he cursed Aquila for putting him in such a situation. He knew that this matter was nothing to sneeze at and before he could proceed with his thoughts, a knock on the door was heard.